The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bullseye front briskit shot on a big buck, the arrow went in all the way to the heart, the broadhead never opened, so it was just the cut from a closed broadhead, bent 2 of the blades and did minimal damage, but shooting the buck in the brisket and cutting his heart in 1/2 the buck still ran over 300 yards, nice blood trail but nothing like it would have been if the blades would have opened, will never use them again, going back to my muzzies.
Im shooting a Bowtech Assassin 72lbs at 318 fps.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
How did you cut his heart in half with a closed broadhead? I'm betting it opened just fine. The blades probably folded up when the arrow fell out, or you pulled it out of the deer. A front brisket shot is a risky proposition with archery tackle anyway, so all things considered I think things worked out exceptionally well for you in this scenario

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
The two deer we shot with them this year wouldn't have called them junk. Blades were fully deployed at entry. Both pass thrus.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
cant blame the broadhead on that shot . just feel lucky you got him at all.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I wrote many posts on here telling people about how horrible the T3's are. Not only because they flop open when being pulled from a quiver but the lack of durability where the instert sits against the broadhead..they break all the time. I shoot QAD Exodus and I promise you one thing..they leave a hole and these heads are flawless in every aspect of a broadhead. Sharp, thick blades...solid real steel construction (NOT MELTED AND MOLDED G5 JUNK), FLY GREAT AND QUIET.. These things are beast!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is wrong with a frontal shot if you are confident in your shot?? no wind, once in a lifetime buck I am taking the shot, the heart was cut with just the chisel tip, I will post a pic of the broadhead as you will see it did not open, brand new never shot before, I will give them a try in late season but very skeptical, and for all you haters that think I took a bad shot pound sand because I got my buck of my dreams for PA, just because you cant hit a buck facing you doesnt mean you need to say its a bad shot and should never take it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Born2Hunt said:
My fix blades open every single time.
well said my friend...

a full frontal shot isnt the best...i have seen many times deer shot like this and the person shooting thought "man i had a great hit and a full pass thru" when in reality all they did was wound that deer...what happens is if you dont hit dead center your arrow rides along the outside of the rib cage going between the ribs and front shoulder never entering the vital area inside the rib cage.....congrats on your shot it paid off this time..

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Borden811 said:
How did you cut his heart in half with a closed broadhead? I'm betting it opened just fine. The blades probably folded up when the arrow fell out, or you pulled it out of the deer. A front brisket shot is a risky proposition with archery tackle anyway, so all things considered I think things worked out exceptionally well for you in this scenario
Agreed. Not the most optimal shot on a deer. Makable yes, but optimal?...nope. The T-3's don't have a "sharpened" tip either, and even if it did, it's only about 3/8" MAX in diameter and no way could it have almost cut a deer's heart in half! You took a marginal shot, the head performed perfectly, but because you had to track him, (due to the MARGINAL SHOT), you are blaming the head. pure and simple. End of story. There is so much connective tissue and fat and bone in a deer's brisket, ESPECIALLY a rutted up buck's, that you're lucky you had a blood trail at all to follow. I have only ever taken one shot like that on a deer and even though it worked out, I will likely never take it again. My buck was close (inside 15 yrds and I was shooting a TON of comp then and felt I could take the shot. I ws using a fixed balde head yes, and the arrow almost completely penetrated the deer from brisket to rump and was actually sticking out his off side ham about 6", but the blood trail was minimal, I didn't touch his lungs and I tore up his paunch to boot. Not an optinmal shot in any case...your best buck to date or not. Stop whining about the head and move on. It did it's job. You...not so much.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
i shot a buck with t3s..double lunged it ..it ran about 60yds went down and pawed and craweld around for 4min..just didnt seem right? didnt use them this year.bottom line is you use mechanicals long enough you will get your turn trust me ..i use 2 blade rage now..but have been less than impressed on quartering shots

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I didn't have any problems with my mechanicals this year. However, with that said, I still dont trust them. Switching to mx4's or slick tricks next year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Been there done the frontal shot twice. First time worked like a charm, second time not so well. Both were inside 17 yards. I will admit I have learned a valuable lesson and will never take that shot again no matter how big the buck. Oh both times were with fixed heads being flung at 300fps.
I beleive the above proves its not a matter of the head it's the shot.

Do yourself a favor and get a good fixed head, tune your bow properly, and never look back. I have never regretted it, especially hearing all the hunting stories about poor penetration, etc from those shooting expandables. I don't think we need to take a poll to see how many guys had poor performance and didn't have their fixed heads open or be the cause of a wounded or lost deer.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Live2Bowhunt said:
I wrote many posts on here telling people about how horrible the T3's are. Not only because they flop open when being pulled from a quiver but the lack of durability where the instert sits against the broadhead..they break all the time. I shoot QAD Exodus and I promise you one thing..they leave a hole and these heads are flawless in every aspect of a broadhead. Sharp, thick blades...solid real steel construction (NOT MELTED AND MOLDED G5 JUNK), FLY GREAT AND QUIET.. These things are beast!

Uh, "not melted and molded" Know how steel is made. Iron is melted, add a little carbon, little manganese,....

As far as powdered metallurgy is concerned, it's been around for quite sometime and is a proven technology. When I worked for a hoist manufacturer, the main brake was a worm gear hub, with a helical gear disc and an internal spline. Due to the complex geometry we made it out of PM. Design has been is use for at least thirty years. Able to hold very tight tolerances, robust and cost effective.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry fellas the arrow was never pulled out, it broke off with 8"s left in the buck, the heart was split with just the chisel tip and the blades were never opened, sorry you think it was a crap shot but I got my 1st Archery buck and I could not be happier, why does everyone have to be so negative, yeah I know its not the best shot but Its what he gave me, one could say buck fever, like I said I am just glad I got him, and Im sure when you all shot your 1st buck you probably had a luck shot as well. I am still so amped up and its been over a week. next time I will try for a better shot just to make everyone happy haha maybe not

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
It isn't about making us or anyone else happy. It's about respecting the animal you're hunting enough to want to take the most ethical and quickest killing shot that you can. YOU said the heart was almost cut in half did you not? If that were the case then I PROMISE you, the head functioned as advertized. I have about a dozen of those heads in my broadhead box. The ONLY reason I don't run them is because I have about 40 NAP Spitfires that I got when I sold the stuff. Would I use the T3's? In a heartbeat. They are a proven and simple design and have fewer NEGATIVE reviews than the rage accross the board. Having used litterally about every design of broadhead made in the last 20 years I can tell you there have been some serious steamers out there. The T3's are not one of those. You chose the shot, you chose the equipment and let's face it, your inexperience told you you could take that shot. Chalk it up to a learning experience, and take the responses from those of us here with a VAST amount more experience than you have and admit that there were things you could have done differently and blaming your gear only goes just so far, especially when, again, you yourself posted the deer's heart was almost cut in half. What's more likely is that all the connective tissue in the brisket, that measures up to a few INCHES THICK, closed off the wound channel and held all the blood inside the chest cavity. It can happen on a broadside, quartering away shot, so it can easilly happen with a brisket shot. You posted what happened. Just tkae the advice given you and move on. It'll make you a better hunter I promise.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Big Newk said:
sorry fellas the arrow was never pulled out, it broke off with 8"s left in the buck, the heart was split with just the chisel tip and the blades were never opened, sorry you think it was a crap shot but I got my 1st Archery buck and I could not be happier, why does everyone have to be so negative, yeah I know its not the best shot but Its what he gave me, one could say buck fever, like I said I am just glad I got him, and Im sure when you all shot your 1st buck you probably had a luck shot as well. I am still so amped up and its been over a week. next time I will try for a better shot just to make everyone happy haha maybe not
You might get a pass this time since you are a newb, but please, pass on the frontal shots in the future. You got lucky this time. Congrats on the harvest. As you have noticed, not many on the thread agreeing that a frontal shot on a deer with archery equipment is an ethical shot.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
hey big newk aka as Josh congrats on your first buck. what i don't understand is why you shot him in the chest I mean he wasn't going anywhere inside that fence all you had to do was wait for an ethical shot you owe it to the critters you pursue...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts