The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up some G5's and want to know how sharp they should be. Should they shave hair? I saw another thread where arrowhead mentioned how easy they are to sharpen. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If they are the original montecs good luck trying to shave hair. Due to the bevel on those heads I was never able to get them shaving sharp despite trying several different stones, etc. The new CS version is easier to sharpen. In my experience montecs fly great but don't leave much of a blood trail (possibly due to being hard to sharpen).

·
Registered
18,421 Posts
I could never get a good edge on my Montecs no matter what I tried. Ended up switching over to Slick Tricks.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Get the new carbon steel heads. (the stainless is difficult to sharpen) G5 makes a special diamond hone that will help get them razor sharp.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
We set a file at an angle and use an old arrow for a holder. The file sets in a block of wood that has a slight angle cut into it. File it until you get a "beard" or "fine wire edge" on the blade. Then use a leather strop or paper wheel sharpner until the beard goes away. You will have it as sharp as it can get.

Or, another method would be to use the diamond flat that G5 sells. It won't make them as sharp but will put a decent edge on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts