The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has a cousin in the PGC. He said the Xbow inclusion may be reversed and there will be a push to go back to a medical permit system or a Xbow only season. Reasoning was their data said the Xbow kill was high last year. I think that's BS!! Anyone else hear any rumblings regarding this? I can get a Dr to sign off due to arthritis if the change is made, but I really hate seeing the freedom to use my bow of choice taken away.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Never happen xbows are here to stay. There was no indication that the xbow kill hurt our herd. Plus if nothing else it has allowed a lot of youngsters, females, and older hunters enjoy archery.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Too many people dropped lots of money on crossbows for them to close the season on them... Not gonna happen! They are here to stay for good.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I for one hope it gets reversed.What's stopping a female or youngster from shooting a bow? My five year old can even shoot one, my 11 year old has been shooting for years.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
fishkrane said:
I for one hope it gets reversed.What's stopping a female or youngster from shooting a bow? My five year old can even shoot one, my 11 year old has been shooting for years.
Agree...My wife hunts with a Compound and she is about as little as they come

·
Registered
216 Posts
It will never be reversed. Way to much money generated due to the use of the crossbow. Im not against it but would never hunt with one unless i had to due to medical reasons. Im with you fishkrane.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't see them reversing it but stranger things have happened. I for one enjoy the choice some days my shoulder doesn't feel like pulling the bow back some days it does. So having both I don't ever have to miss a planned hunt day

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I agree, Big Ken, there was absolutely no measureable adverse impact on the resource, antlered or otherwise. Pieces of the sky did not clobber anyone, folks who'd given up archery for one reason or another used the opportunity to participate, and there were ample empty trees throughout the Game Lands where my granddaughter and I hunted, for every archer interested in a vertical perch, to hover above us non-climbers.

I do not anticipate any changes in two years.

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Still way too early to tell what the actual impact will be.So far,not much has changed and they're most likely here to stay.I personally could care less unless it has a negative effect on our seasons but I highly doubt it will.

·
Registered
19,295 Posts
I am pretty involved in this issue. Have heard nothing in that regards. If anything, a few of the BOC that were previously against are moderating their postions.

When the time comes and the BOC has to address the subject on or before 2012, it will be very important for all of us to voice our support and share the positive experiences.

It will probably be addressed in 2011.

·
Banned
618 Posts
To be honest does the impact on harvest deer really matter to the PGC if the dollar amounts received are greater from crossbow hunters buying licenses? Like it, lover it, or hate it, they are here to stay as long as there are dollars to be made. By saying that please do not take that as me being negative to or towards crossbow hunters.

Have a great day,

Snapper

·
Registered
19,295 Posts
Snapper said:
To be honest does the impact on harvest deer really matter to the PGC if the dollar amounts received are greater from crossbow hunters buying licenses?
I believe it does matter. The BOC reduced doe licenses quite a bit which is less revenue for them. Ultimately, this should come down to harvest and after this fall there should be some clarity.

·
Registered
19,295 Posts
Been doing some serious cleanup in this thread. With the upcoming archery season approaching fast, this is a good time for a refresher on what this forum is not.

All are welcome to contribute positively. Those that participate in our archery seasons have much in common and there is alot to dicuss in positive ways. Negative comments on someones weapon of choice, sterotypes, personal attacks or hunting styles will be frowned upon.

For those that have a difficult time following these easy guidelines, think twice before the submit button is hit. Here is HPA policy regarding the crossbow issue.
"Fellow HPAers,
After much discussion within our staff, we at HuntingPA.com have decided that the issue of crossbows in Archery Season no longer needs its own discussion sub-forum in the Outdoor Issues section. The issue has been exhaustively discussed and decided by the PAGC Board of Commissioners and the current “discussion” in that forum is nothing more than hunters throwing stones at each other and undermining everything we strive to do here at HuntingPA.com. Therefore as of today it is officially discontinued. If anyone finds need to continue that kind of “discussion” we invite them to go to any number of other hunting websites out there to do it. We at HuntingPA have had enough of it, and will no longer provide a platform for it , the purpose is gone.

HuntingPA.com got to be the great hunting community it is, because there are people in place here to know when to say "Enough is enough", and we have reached that point. The only reason we have kept the sub-forum open this long was to keep such comments contained in there, now we have come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no reason to have the sub-forum PERIOD!

Should there be reason (i.e. new pending matters or legislation that arise on this issue...) the sub-forum will be reinstated to discuss those issues as the news comes in, but until then we ask all to move forward on it together. Anyone that still finds need to continue that type of "discussion” in any of the other HPA forums will be removed from the site for the reminder of the hunting season.

ENJOY SHARING THE SEASON ON HuntingPA!!
HPA Staff "

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts