The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bobcat permit and a furtakers license of course, but I hunt coyotes with some guys who don't have either. Am I still legally allowed to shoot a bobcat and foxes while hunting with these guys who don't possess either a furtakers or a bobcat permit? I would guess yes, but I'm sure this is a grey area.

This is a general question, but I was thinking about it the other day. Are you responsible for what others do that you may be hunting with? Example. Say I'm out hunting with someone who don't have a furtakers and they would shoot a fox. Can I get in trouble if I'm not in possesion of the fox, just because I'm in the same hunting party? These questions just made me realize that this is why I hunt by myself 99% of the time. I can't see how I could be responsible for anothers actions, but just want to get your thoughts on it.

I think if we were all required to buy a furtakers license to hunt coyotes, it would clear up most of the grey areas, but not all.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
There was a thread back a few weeks ago where our local WCOs stated that you cannot go coyote hunting while your partner is going bob cat hunting. They would consider you as hunting or participating in the bob cat hunt.

If they shot the fox without having a furtaker license and then you took possession then you are just as guity as they are.

Nothing wrong with hunting with others but they have to be responsible for their own actions.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like to find that thread. I looked back a ways and searched, but couldn't find it. If anyone would like to post the link, I'd appreciate it.

I can't see how that works...I think it would come down to the WCO and situation and everyone would be different. We really need to get some of these grey areas fixed. Basically, there is no written rule and it all comes down to a WCO's judgement. Just hope if it happens to any of us that he's having a good day.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
As you can see from the posts on this forum, it would be impossible to cover every "what if" situation by law or regulations unless you want the laws and regulations books to be so huge you would need an express wagon to pull them around with you and you would have to take several days each year to re-read them so you are up to date. Quite frankly, I hink we have too many regulations now, when I started with the PGC regulations consisted of those for game lands and seasons and bag limits. About 3 mimeographed pieces of 8 1/2 X 11 in size and most folks knew what they could and could not do. Now the regulations are thicker than the law and less folks know what they can and cannot do..

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what's the solution John? Here's one solution for this. Don't have a Bobcat drawing. Instead, make it legal for anyone with a furtakers to take a Bobcat. Also, anyone who wants to shoot coyotes, needs a furtakers. Will it wipe out the bobcats? Maybe, but I don't see any other solution. I feel for the guys who read the book and then get in trouble, due to the lack of information available to them. What I mean is, if I didn't have this site to come to for answers, I'd still be considering hunting bobcats with another hunter who don't have a bobcat tag. Also, I bet you ask 10 WCO's you'll get at least 7 different answers on this subject. I still think it will come down to the WCO's mood that day. As you can tell from my posts over the years, I try to get things right and that's why I post the questions. I'm not anti-PGC as you can see. However, I think we need some type of clarification. I heard a lot of folks say, the PGC just likes to keep you guessing. I don't take on that attitude what so ever, but I do think the book needs to be re-written in some form that everyone can clearly understand and all laws should be in black and white.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The commission talked about needing a furtakers license for yotes when they were classified as furbearers but the deer hunters went nuts and screamed about protecting the deer eating coyotes and the USP was at the forefront of that nonsense so the board gave up on the requirement in order to get the reclassification passed . One group thinks coyotes are a resource and others think they are vermin and need to be exterminated.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
springfreak said:
Why a furtakers lic. to hunt yotes?, don't need a pigskin lic to hunt wild pigs.
Because it brings up the "participation" factor again. If I have a FTL and a buddy doesn't, he can't hunt foxes with me. However, if he states he's hunting coyotes, then he's legal. Now, I shoot a fox, and he's in the truck with us, who's to say that the WCO won't say he participated in the fox hunt? It's another grey area that could be dismissed if he would have a FTL.

·
Registered
957 Posts
then the position comes up that if you are say driving for coyotes as a group and a cat jumps out and you shoot it... now even if the rest of the group was close enough to see you shoot your cat, they may have unwillingly just participated in the hunt. there are too many areas that can never be covered... and for the rarity of being drawn for a cat, I will be hunting alone or with another friend who was also drawn.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree. Just too many situations unless everyone is allowed or nobody is allowed. It's tough.

·
Registered
957 Posts
well i do not agree that we should open the seeason on cats to anyone with a license unless we KNOW that the population can stand that much of a harvest... one way of doing it may be to allow anyone with a ftl to harvest a cat but give them say 3 hrs from the time of harvest to call it in, and then have a season count limit like say 600 cats for the year then the season ends. IDK its a tough situation...

·
Registered
957 Posts
the tough part is that if allowed to just say " we are hunting coyotes" then everyone will be joining in the hunt for their friends cat and use that excuse... if I were in that position of the WCO I would honestly write the citations for those who aided in the harvest of the cat. the law is very plain and simple when you look at it... no one else may participate ... thats that ...

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
springfreak said:
Why not do away with the furtakers license for hunting?, keep the seasons, just a license for trapping and a special license for bobcats.
I agree 100% with you on this one. They charge enough for these stinking liscense's we should be able to hunt what we want without needing a special liscense to shoot a fox.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yotehunter74 said:
the tough part is that if allowed to just say " we are hunting coyotes" then everyone will be joining in the hunt for their friends cat and use that excuse... if I were in that position of the WCO I would honestly write the citations for those who aided in the harvest of the cat. the law is very plain and simple when you look at it... no one else may participate ... thats that ...
You're right, because unless the law is changed to say no coyote hunting during bobcat season, this will always be the case, due to the fact that nobody can tell which furbearer is really being targeted.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I believe that during any deer season including late muzzleloader you must have a furtakers license to hunt coyotes unless you have a valid deer tag.
The bobcat laws says that you are not allowed to participate in the cat hunt unless you have a guide license.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.