The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have experience purchasing furniture grade plywood. I have looked at a few local dealers in pittsburgh and they all seem to be within the same price range for grade and species of woods. I am a carpenter, but not a joiner, and I want to build a custom book case for my home. any discount dealers locally?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Try going to a cabinet shop and see if they will sell you some. Sometimes they will give you a decent price. BUT I found that the price doesn't differ that much from store to store. You might want to look into veneer it's a lot cheaper than sheets of ply. MDF and veneer will give you a nice stable bookcase (won't expand and contract like solid wood) and about $40 cheaper per sheet. Here's where I get my stuff and the prices aren't that bad, a lot cheaper than I can get at any of the local stores.

www.Bairdbrothers.com

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spunky said:
Try going to a cabinet shop and see if they will sell you some. Sometimes they will give you a decent price. BUT I found that the price doesn't differ that much from store to store. You might want to look into veneer it's a lot cheaper than sheets of ply. MDF and veneer will give you a nice stable bookcase (won't expand and contract like solid wood) and about $40 cheaper per sheet. Here's where I get my stuff and the prices aren't that bad, a lot cheaper than I can get at any of the local stores.

www.Bairdbrothers.com
baird brothers is great, I am a carpenter, you can probably tell from my name, but I wanted 18 ply hardwood. I ended up getting cheap birch from HD. I looked at allegheny millworks, ang they wanted 120 a sheet for 18ply

1 - 5 of 5 Posts