The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Pred forum also...but thought maybe some that frequent this forum may know...

May be a dumb question, but I can't come up with an answer.

Why you can trap certain furbearers, but can't hunt them?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Most of those furbearers would be extremely difficult to hunt and it would be difficult to retrieve the ones shot in water.

·
Registered
391 Posts
On NY states lake Champlain it is legal to hunt muskrat with a 22. Must be a pretty unsafe place to be. Don't get me wrong Lifes2Fun, I think there is to much chance for ricochet also. Mink may be hunted in NYS southern zone also. One wonders why certain laws are made but we just have to go by them, that's the way it is.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Yeah for sure. I've seen muskrats swimmin across the water. Would be easy to shoot. But then.....how it the heck do you retrieve it when it's 30 or 40 yards out in the water?

L-2-F makes an excellent point as well. Ricochet's from off the water is not a good thing either. (Well.....unless you bring along someone you REALLY don't like and tell them to stand across the lake and watch for Mt. Lions.
)

Leave 'em to the trappers. Go for the fox. Those are crafty enough to keep you on your toes.

MHO

Dave

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
mbowerma,

Hey...I love your slogan at the bottom of your post!! I went to St. Vincent and that (The Robert Frost quote) is their marketing quote!!

Dave

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I was just curious if it was a safety issue, or something else.

·
Registered
356 Posts
because if you shot a mink or muskrat with a 22. there wouldnt be any fur left. i dont think the pgc took into regard the possibility that someone might even think about hunting them when they were writing the rulebook.

and how do you even get a good shot at a mink. muskrat i can understand might be easier. though it would be fun to take a pellet gun down to the pond and shoot at a couple muskrats.

i know you can hunt weasels but how and with what caliber.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Head shots with a 45-70 and 500 grain bullets. That should do it.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
mink1456 said:
because if you shot a mink or muskrat with a 22. there wouldnt be any fur left.
Minkie...

Do you Think at all?

If you take a round nose .22 bullet and shoot a Muskrat or Mink in the head...YOUR STILL GOING TO HAVE A WHOLE HIDE LEFT!!

A .22 is NOT a Huge caliber that is going to rip a muskrat or mink all apart...

A round nose .22 bullet is going to go in and expland slightly and not do to much but put a hole going in and a hole going out...Still a hide worth skinning and selling...a .22 CB will do the same thing!

Have you ever shot a mink or muskrat with a .22? If you have, What where you using....Gopher Granades??

·
Registered
356 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
mink1456 said:
Minkie...

Do you Think at all?

If you take a round nose .22 bullet and shoot a Muskrat or Mink in the head...YOUR STILL GOING TO HAVE A WHOLE HIDE LEFT!!

A round nose .22 bullet is going to go in and expland slightly and not do to much but put a hole going in and a hole going out...Still a hide worth skinning and selling...a .22 CB will do the same thing!

Have you ever shot a mink or muskrat with a .22? If you have, What where you using....Gopher Granades??
no, have you.

i personally would just hit it over the head with gun. or if its attached to a cinderblock or a weight by a trap throw it in a pool of water and let him drown.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
mink1456 said:
Woodywoodduck said:
mink1456 said:
Minkie...

Do you Think at all?

no, have you.

i personally would just hit it over the head with gun. or if its attached to a cinderblock or a weight by a trap throw it in a pool of water and let him drown.
I've shot just about everything that I have ever caught in a trap over the years.....a .22 CB doesn't tear up a mink or rat and is FASTER then throwing them in a pool of water or beating them in the head!

Catch a mink or rat near a body of water but NOT IN the body of water and unhook that trap attach a cinder block to it and carry it to water 50-100 yards away....I'll lay money on it you get bit a time or 2!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
mink1456 said:
Woodywoodduck said:
mink1456 said:
Minkie...

Do you Think at all?

no, have you.

I've shot just about everything that I have ever caught in a trap over the years.....a .22 CB doesn't tear up a mink or rat and is FASTER then throwing them in a pool of water or beating them in the head!

Catch a mink or rat near a body of water but NOT IN the body of water and unhook that trap attach a cinder block to it and carry it to water 50-100 yards away....I'll lay money on it you get bit a time or 2!

i dont know ive never caught a live mink.

are live mink crazy?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
mink1456 said:
... i dont know ive never caught a live mink.

are live mink crazy?
Did ya ever catch a dead mink ?

Dead mink are easier to process...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Probably won't be allowed to hunt fishers when they legalise them, even though they will go up a tree.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Actually, a more interesting question is why, when the PGC seems to want 'otes reduced, it is legal to hunt 'otes almost year round, BUT trapping 'otes goes out in Feb?????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts