The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i followed this forum last year i saw post after post saying "the fur isnt ready yet the fur isnt ready yet!" what id like to know is what makes the fur prime. do we need a temp drop for a period of time is it a moon phase thing or maybe length of day? or is it flat out just trial and error.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just think about it, if you needed real cold weather for furs to prime up then our friends
down in Ga. Ala. Miss. and such wouldn't have prime furs at all.
I agree with the above, low light, it switches things in the brain and the hide/skin begins to thicken and fur primes up.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Cold helps for making it thicker too. It is absolutely about time of year and daylight, but colder weather makes them fur up even more. Look at Canadian Fox and coon vs. ours.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
The correct answer is the amount of daylight. But, like Hunterknapp16 stated, the amount of cold weather helps as well which would be more of a regional thing. PA furs are worth more than southern states furs and Canadian furs will pull a little more than ours. It's all a regional thing with color and thickness especially with raccoons and coyote. Although we could be in the same latitude, raccoons from Iowa are worth more than PA coon all because of color.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason i ask is, im wonderin when it starts to become profitable to start laying some steel in the ground. Last year i saw for the first few weeks of the season people were catching unprime fur. And with todays fur market thats almost worthless.

·
Registered
573 Posts
RollinHunter said:
The reason i ask is, im wonderin when it starts to become profitable to start laying some steel in the ground. Last year i saw for the first few weeks of the season people were catching unprime fur. And with todays fur market thats almost worthless.
that goes for prime fur as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts