The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
I had the pleasure on the second Tuesday to accompany a good friend with his daughter of 12 on a doe hunt up here. We sat in a baronnett grounder 350 ground blind together. I was just along for the enjoyment of hopefully getting to watch a youngster harvest a deer with her father by her side. It was an afternoon sit and around 3:45 3 doe appeared. We were set up in a high brush thicket in a nice sized opening in it under a big pine. The deer were probably 80-85 yards out and just milling through. Me and my buddy are talking to the youngster, telling her take your time, let them come( they were moving in our direction), etc. My heart was pounding. She uses a .222 as do my kids and myself and her father so shot placement has been pounded into her for years. Here's the funny part. She has her gun up on the sticks totally focused and eye down the scope. She calmly unshoulders the rifle turns to her father, then back to me and says relax guys, it's all good. You two are way too worked up. Reshoulders the rifle, takes aim, the deer are at about 75 yards broadside feeding. Boom! Lead doe jumps up off all 4's runs 30 yards and stops. Wobbly feet and faceplant! Stone dead! Turns to her father and back to me and says Dirtnap! I almost wet my pants. I busted out laughing along with her father and high fives and hugs proceeded. Then she said I just brang you guys along to gut and drag. What a great memory!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She probably heard you guys breathing and heart beats.
I wouldn't doubt it. Mine was pounding and I know her dads was for sure. After she shot his left leg was shaking like he was stomping at a country line dance. Its probably one of the most nerve wracking times I've ever had with my kids. I actually wanted to close my eyes I was so shook up and it's funny because they were so zoned in and calm and did everything we practiced like it was nothing.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
:thumbs:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I agree, great story........I am still chuckling, as we all know it could have been us acting the same way as you and her dad.

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Great story!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts