The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Funding issues.

6K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  TusseyMtMan 
#1 ·
Got the letter today. I know many in the leadership and if they say they can't continue operating on the present income, I believe it. And we need this organization watching our backs. I sent in a $20.00 contribution today. I know it isn't much, but if we could get something going here, it might help. I will also support the dues increase needed to continue operation.

#2 ·
I got the same letter today. I only know a few of the SE region directors, but I too see the need to increase their income from dues revenues, and I to will support the increase. But, asking sporting clubs for lists of their members names / addresses ect, is in my honest opinion, not the way to go, and will only have a detrimental effect on the federation. Having been a board member for the last 10 years of a gun club that pays dues to the federation, It will be a hard sell to my membership, and they will be the ones who will eventually make the call on weather or not our club continues to stay in the federation. I would like to know what legitimate guarantee federation supporting clubs will have that the membership lists will not fall, or, be made to hand over by way of a court order, into the hands of the local, state, and federal governments.
Remember , this is the kind of info that Germany and many other countries used (and still use) to disarm their populations, and it is the exact type of info collected by other governments ( UK, Aust,Cananda,ect) after they banned all firearm ownership from their citizens.
It is also the type of info that McCarthy used in his communist witch hunt trials back in the 50s.
What I need to know is this,
#1, what safe guards are in place to protect this info,
and
#2,who will be held legally responsible for the protection of this info, in case it does fall into the wrong hands?
Roland

#3 ·
What I need to know is this,
#1, what safe guards are in place to protect this info,
and
#2,who will be held legally responsible for the protection of this info, in case it does fall into the wrong hands?
Roland
The agreement is to accept sponsorships, possibly from a company like Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc that might wish to offer coupons, advertising, catalogs etc, to people on those membership lists.

The only entity holding those lists, would be PFSC. A sponsoring vendor would furnish the "product" and postage, PFSC would handle the distribution.

What guarantee do you have, that any company already having your name and address (like those mentioned), might not actually sell the list of their customers to another company that doesn't directly compete with them? Same for magazines that often barter their mailing lists.

By falling into the wrong hands, what exactly is your perceived fear?

#6 ·
Don,

"There is a privacy statement associated with this request"
I have to ask, why wasn’t this stated in the newsletter?

"Your names will never be released from the PFSC"
Again, why wasn’t this stated in the newsletter?

I have stated in previous posts, I have no problem with paying a higher amount for dues. I also have no problem with the federation becoming more grass roots. Grass roots to me means asking your membership to pitch in, with funds and or with planning and executing events to generate funds. Bake sales, Block shoots, Raffles that a working man (or laid off worker) can afford. Knocking on doors for support, ect. These I would ask my membership to do, and do with them, with a smile. After all, isn’t this is how the Federation generated the funds to get started? These types of events could be the federations savior. Never in my wildest of dreams would I consider generating a list of members as being grass roots.

I do not feel that providing names and addresses of members
of our gun club is in the best interest of our association, and in the long run, this is what I was elected to do, make decisions based on what’s best for our association. However, I will state your point to my other board members, and general membership, because that to, is what I was elected to do. State positions that I may or may not agree with.

Denny,
"What guarantee do you have, that any company already having your name and address (like those mentioned), might not actually sell the list of their customers to another company that doesn't directly compete with them? Same for magazines that often barter their mailing lists"

Your right. I can make no such guarantee about other companies, but I can guarantee every single member of my gun club that the companies did not get their info from me.

"By falling into the wrong hands, what exactly is your perceived fear?"

History is full of lists of names falling into the wrong hands, and none of the history associated with lists of names, and wrong hands, has been good.
Germany used pre-war lists of gun owners to confiscate ... Following confiscation, the Germans were free to wreak their evil on the disarmed populace. I know we do not live in Germany, but neither did the Pols, or the French.
But, what the heck, everything worked out OK for them right?

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

DennyF,
This is why I posted this topic on the gun control forum ,Because lists of gun owners (sportsmen) names and addresses, no matter why they are created, and no matter who is in control of them now, can only lead to gun control, and in extreme case, genocide.
History has proven this, time and time again.
Roland

#8 ·
If I didn't have enough faith in an org that has been looking out for the best interests of PA's hunters, anglers and conservationists for the past 78 years , to trust them to keep their word, I would likely no longer be a part of it.

Per your fears, not everyone who belongs to a sportsmen's club, is a gun owner. We have folks at our club that only fish, for example. Are they worried about some future dictator confiscating their fishing rods? Probably not. If anyone wanted a current list of gun owners with which to begin to confiscate firearms, they'd do better to grab the NRA's membership list.

My <u>personal</u> opinion is, that your concerns are not only unfounded, but a bit over the top.

#9 ·
Birddog,
I have read dennys post word for word.
Please check the topic right below this one on this forum, under Pa Federation of sportsmen funding issues.
DennyF,
thank you for you honest opinion on this,
Its a crying shame that other members of this forum did not get a chance to voice their opinions on this topic in the gun control forum, as you did, before some one moved the topic back down the line to this forum where no one looks for gun control issues.

As for my concerns being unfounded and over the top,
the fact that you did not dispute the history lesson I provided, speaks volumes. Especially your silence on the FPSC looking to sell it headquarters in Harrisburg.

As for sportsmen that do not own or use firearms,
I thought that the whole idea of this forum ( and the federation) was to get sportsmen to stand side by side in unison.
How does your statement do this?
" We have folks at our club that only fish, for example. Are they worried about some future dictator confiscating their fishing rods?"

As for the NRA membership lists, I joined the NRA knowing there were membership lists. And in joining the NRA, that my name and address would be placed on it. I also gave my name and address to the PFSC when I joined, knowing that it would be placed on the list.
The general membership of my club did not, and has not agreed to this, yet, and I will not give up their names and addresses until they put this issue to a vote.

I may be the first to question the PFSC on this issue, but
Ill bet you dollars to doughnuts, I wont be the last.
Which is probably why this topic was removed from a forum where sportsman who are concerned about gun issues, rarely tread.
Thank you all for your reply’s,
Roland

#10 ·
As a member of the PFSC, and one who knows first hand the time, energy and effort the PFSC has exerted to protect and enhance our hunting heritage in PA, I intend to stand up and assist them in meeting their goals with regard to fund raising.

A lack of sufficient funding is not unique to the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsman’s Clubs. It is inherently critical in this economic climate, that conservation organizations and our resource agencies receive sufficient funding to address Pennsylvania’s conservation priorities.

Funding is needed to have a presence at the Capitol; at Commission meetings; and for the daily operational expenses required to keep an office and staff serving the needs of the sportsmen and women and conservationists in the Commonwealth.

To that end, I am assisting in collecting wildlife prints that the PFSC may raffle off to raise money at the show in Harrisburg or where ever they deem appropriate.

If anyone is willing to donate a print, please send me a PM.

To become a member of the PFSC so they can long continue their mission of preserving and enhancing our hunting an angling heritage, you can click here: http://www.pfsc.org/membership.html

#11 ·
GalThatFishes
This sounds like a wonderful "grass roots" endeavor.
Our gun club has dozens of signed and numbered prints in the attic, most from the 70s and 80s time frame. I will chat with my fellow board members, and pm you tuesday eve.
Roland

#12 ·
I moved your topic down here, because it is a PFSC issue, not a gun control issue. Also left a pointer in Gun Control directing readers to this forum, if anyone wanted to follow the topic.

Did not "refute" your concerns per any "history lesson", because I do not consider them to be relevant to this issue.

And thanks for your continued support for PFSC.

#13 ·
roland45 said:
GalThatFishes
This sounds like a wonderful "grass roots" endeavor.
Our gun club has dozens of signed and numbered prints in the attic, most from the 70s and 80s time frame. I will chat with my fellow board members, and pm you tuesday eve.
Roland
Would be much appreciated Roland. Thank you.

If we all do just a little bit, we'll be back "On Target"in short order!

#21 ·
Not my decision, but some might be opposed to such a plea here?

Perhaps PUS would also demand "equal time"?

If it were up to me, every hunter in PA would belong to PFSC and the NRA, plus any of the "special interest" orgs we have available.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.