The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I had been hitting the coyote and bobcats pretty hard lately and this past weekend I was in the mood to target some fox over snow under a full moon. Foxpro was nice enough to send me the new Shockwave so I figured that I would give it a workout.

The fox were definitely turned on. The hunt was great conditions with a decent wind and ended up with four reds and two greys on the night. The call performed flawlessly even at the seven degree temperatures that I was hunting in for most of the hunt. It was so cold that the fox fur was sticking to my metal critter hauler which is no good when fur starts pulling out. Anyways I figured I would share a photo of my favorite fox of the hunt which happened to be my last as well. Below is the details.

Time: This past weekend at 0420 hours.

Terrain: Fields, hedge rows adjacent to a wooded ridge line. Four major funnel points.

Call: Foxpro Shockwave (bird in distress)

Response time: 7 minute mark.

Conditions: Full moon phase, 7 degrees with a 5 mph crosswind.

Weapon: Tactical 20 with 32 grain Vmax bullet.

Distance: Farthest one of the night. 151 of my large paces. The fox although it responded to the call was on a mission to get my wind giving me a broadside shot.

Sets: 8

Ratio: 2 reds and 2 greys. 2 reds presented no shot opportuninty so they are seed.

Fox: Average sized female that came in solo.

Light: EWT 100 Kill light on my head and a Kill Light 250 on the camo stick of death. Both equipt with Silent Halo Shields from Boondock Outdoors.

Land Owners - Very happy.

Snack: Peanut Chews and Wild Bills Jerky.

Side note: The wind forced me to sit wide open in a field which is not my preferred method of hunting on full moon nights. I knew that I was passing thru and would more than likely not be back before fox season closed so I rolled the dice.

Plan of attack: Due to being overly exposed I felt that I had to win the battle by spotting it from as far as possible and then hiding behind my light to avoid being busted. Guess it worked this time lol.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
243 Posts
Good to see your back Kirk, thought a mountain lion or sasquatch got ya. If you could put in a good word to Mike or Abner at Foxpro and have them send me a Shockwave and ill " give it a workout."

·
Registered
231 Posts
Awesome... How is that 32gr V-Max working for you?
I have been using 40gr Bergers and 26gr Varmint Grenades out of my 20VT but they are really tearing them up!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hightech,
Thanks. I am definitely around just crazy busy getting thru bobcat season, testing etc. Always trying to up my game I guess. Last weekend was fun. Hunting solo my style of hunting and just doing what I like to best which is predator hunt. I took the Shockwave out for the first time and it did well. I expected no less. I especially enjoyed how they grouped the sounds. This call does everything except hold my Monster for me. I may sling it on future hunts to help free up a hand to make carrying predators easier. Take care and good luck to you sir.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bedford,
They don't work well for me on fox. The 20 Vartarg also is still packing heat as you are seeing on your end on fox. I had to double duty this rifle because one of my sets was designated to a very large bobcat. Otherwise I would have been carrying my 17 Mach IV. Due to being concerned about theft I left the 17 Mach IV at home. My Tactical 20 is for bobcat and coyote. I had to make due on this hunt since I was making a circuit that was to far from home. Cool choice in caliber. I looked that one over when I was twenty caliber shoping but opted for the Tac 20. Should be a shooter and inherently accurate with the 221 Fireball as a parent case if I am not mistaken.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
231 Posts
My 20VT is in a Cooper M38. It is extremely accurate. I don't use it all the time, but I had my K-Hornet out of service so I used it for a few hunts.
I was hoping that the 26gr VG would kinda act like a 17cal bullet, but it has been pretty vicious on reds...
Thanks for your stories. I always enjoy reading them!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bedford,
I didn't fare out with the Barnes VG well either. You sound like you are in the same area as me somewhat. K-Hornet when targeting fox and the Vartarg for bobcat and yote. Nice rifle by the way. I don't run into to many wildcat men in my travels.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Nice job on the fox. How did you make out with the bobcat? I have cats all over and cant seem to get them to show themselves.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Smith10pt,

The bobcat hunting has been great. All that I guided have had shot opportunites. Unfortunately not everyone hit their mark. As for me I am alittle picky this season and have not got one yet. Passed them up but still waiting. Since I have taken many bobcats over the years I want a big one. On this hunt I travelled to seal the deal on a big PA cat but, things were not right so I opted not to call and turned my bobcat hunt into a fox hunt which is why i am in a photo without my 17 Mach IV. I am not in panic mode yet but, the conditions are scaring me some but, hopefully I will get another chance to travel back to big cat land. If not who knows I may just go and try to film it after the season. No matter what its been great calling them in even if it was for others lol.

Dog duster,

I am glad being retired is working out for you. I know better to wish my life away but, when I retire I plan on being a hunting fool. I have all kinds of adventures lined up in my mind lol. It was nice speaking with you earlier in the month and remember to call me early if your club is still interested

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I'm glad your cat season has gone well. I have made lots of stands but have not seen a cat yet. I'm on fresh sign so I think its just a matter of time. Gonna hit it hard at the end of the season and hope for the best.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stay on them and stay on stand longer too. I stay a minimum of 45 minutes and keep your calling busy. Bobcats have a way of just appearing so be on your guard and good luck!

Kirk McKendree

1 - 20 of 20 Posts