The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am geting new arrows this year want something with greater penitration. I was useing the beamen bone collectors the last couple years. but feel im not geting the best penitration. so can any one tell me how the penitration is on this arrow ?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
The bad penetration may have been caused by rage broadheads. Depending on your setup, you may not have had enough energy to push them through. The switch in heads, or a tune up of your bow to make sure the arrows are flying correctly may be all that is needed to get the penetration you want. There is a lot more to penetration than just the arrow itself.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know but i want a heavier arrow still. and i had it tuned and papper tuned and all of that. and my bow shoots 296 fps threw the gun. and at 72lbs def should have a enough energy

·
Registered
18,707 Posts
I am shooting 545 grain FMJs out of my crossbow. It is a heavy arrow and slower but it makes up for that with great penetration. I have shot alot of deer with arrows out of compounds and crossbows and the FMJs are a great penetrating arrow.

You may want to consider the Victory VAP as well. The wieghts are close to standard but they penetrate amazingly well.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I shoot ACC which are hardly a heavy shaft but kind of the revers of the FMJ in design with a 61 lb bow. I have shot 3 deer in the last 2 years with full pass through on all of them using slick trick standards. If your not getting good penetration with todays bows at any weight above 40 I would look at the end of my current arrow.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If your getting that bad of penetration, something is wrong. Tuning problem, trying to push to big of a BH, dull BH, or something.
I shoot 53 lbs w/ a 340 gr arrow. Hardly a powerful setup & get pass thru's on most shots. I shot a doe the other year at 36 yards with this setup. I didn't get a complete pass thru ,but had 2 holes. Most shots are buried 4-6" in the dirt.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I think you have to look at more than a shaft change. I'm figuring your Beamen at 29" shaft- 340 spine- 100 grain tip, insert, 3 blazer vanes-nock--your pushing 410 grains now. Out of any recent bow getting 280fps or more, your well above 65ft.lb of kinetic enery. What is your complete set up and maybe we can give you more insight. The same arrow in a FMJ is going to be well over 475 grains in weight. That's a heavy arrow!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
shot placement is key, not getting pas throughs at 70 lbs with an arrow that weighs that much and traveling that fast, something is not right. shoulder shot? I shot 56 lbs last year producing 60 lbs of kinetic energy with rocket steelheads and had no issues with a shot placed behind the shoulder. is it possible u could be hitting the shoulder or another large bone?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I shoot the carbon injexions. They truely penetrate like you wouldnt believe . My buddy is shooting way faster then me by roughly 30 35 fps and my arrows drive in a target 3 or 4 inches farther. Only actual Animal they have been through for me in a bear and zipped right on threw him. Only downfall is you have to use deep six inserts and different broadheads.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Close i am shooting a 28in arrow 400gr 9.0 gpi. 100 grain head. Out of a bear lights out set at 63lbs and i am a 27.5in draw... Off a qad rest
Hittingguru said:
I think you have to look at more than a shaft change. I'm figuring your Beamen at 29" shaft- 340 spine- 100 grain tip, insert, 3 blazer vanes-nock--your pushing 410 grains now. Out of any recent bow getting 280fps or more, your well above 65ft.lb of kinetic enery. What is your complete set up and maybe we can give you more insight. The same arrow in a FMJ is going to be well over 475 grains in weight. That's a heavy arrow!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts