The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how many camps had full rosters of 25 hunters for either bear or deer hunting this year? Any other information you care to share?

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I have been in 2 camps over 34 years and never had 25 guys. Our camp this year though had 13 guys, our biggest deer group ever.

·
Super Moderator
23,761 Posts
Our camp has two members, we can't get there enough. We could fill it with family and friends. Bear season is hot, deer not so much.

We could fit 4 guys max, I would say it's more a schedule family obligation that keeps our camp empty

If we could possibly be there we would

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
We only have 12 members of our camp. Of those 12 7 were up for second week as usual and 2 were up for first week (with their friends) as usual.

The other 3 mainly use the camp for fishing/family vacations etc in the summer.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Our camp is pretty much 6 max capacity. We will never have 25. That's for sure. Having camp filled at or near capacity with others who share the passion is the goal.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Little Bear said:
Just curious as to how many camps had full rosters of 25 hunters for either bear or deer hunting this year? Any other information you care to share?
We did, for the first and second days of bear. It was a combination of 3 camps in Lycoming that get together every year to hunt. Deer, nope, not enough interest after driving 2 full days of the nastiest stuff on Earth and getting out 2 deer.

·
Registered
282 Posts
we had seven for the opening day of deer season, then it dropped to just four of us from the second day on. Although we have never had a full roster since I started hunting. The most I can remember was fourteen.

·
Registered
25,663 Posts
No idea how many showed up at them, but a few camps that haven't had anyone for opening day in a few years, were occupied for the opener this year, where I hunt in 3A.

Used to them being dark, but the driveways were open and the lights were on by Saturday night prior to the first day of firearms deer.

Before this season, one camp had only been noted to be occupied in the summer months over the past several years. Which often made us chuckle going by it in the fall, since there were often several deer hanging around the place.

Maybe those guys finally noticed all that deer sign in their own camp dooryard?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
my camp had a full roster of 4. just the way i like it. and a 50% harvest rate. even better.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Just a thought, if any of these camps are in the buck only first week wmu, that the campers changed their traditions. At my camp, due to work schedules, we have been hunting the second half of the first week in recent years, and then this year we moved to the second half of the second week. Initially we did this to avoid the opening day circus and decided we liked the solitude better.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
we had 15 guys for the first three days then we dropped to 8 for the rest of the week...did pretty good this year had 8 bucks harvested all on sgl in the first three days

·
Registered
109 Posts
1960 to 1990 we averaged 25+ deer hunters (for a full week) and since then there has been a steady decline to 6 this year for the first two days.

We now have more turkey and bear hunters.

HH

·
Registered
360 Posts
The most we ever had at camp for the rifle opener was 8. Most years we average five. This year we skipped opening day, arrived the first Wed and hunted thru Saturday. Four guys this year. Normally we have five hunters who hunt the second Thursday thru Saturday. Camp was closed for the second weekend, first time in twelve years. Looking forward to late season grouse and archery. You can't shoot anything sitting on the couch !

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Had full roster Saturday of bear , almost Monday and less Tuesday, down to 8 wednsday.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
We always have our 6 owners and this year 1 guest for 1st week,
3 of the guys were up for bear season and stayed over.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
When the day comes I have a camp it will be always considered full because I will be there. Anyone extra will just be a bonus.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts