The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I FINALLY got my samples from Thor bullets...

I started with the smaller .500" diameter...

Well...its way too tight in my TC hawken..I can't get it in let alone down the pipe...

Anyone know of the hornady FPB or whatever it is is smaller in diameter???

Was recalling looking forward to seeing how a full bore projectile like one of those shoot to "up my performance".

But no way the Thor's will work for me...sadly...

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
You could try a 50 cal minnie, Lee made molds for them.

Even the Lee REAL bullets can be a very tough start in a rifle. You are basically hand swaging a chunk of lead into the rifling. For that reason many of the old bullet shooting muzzleloaders had either false muzzles or a loading lever to press the bullet into the bore. Have you tried an old fashioned TC Maxiball. They were designed for TC bores.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank frontier...was hoping you'd reply and afraid of that answer lol...

Zimm, I currently shoot Buffalo ball-ets. The 245gr lead round nose...it works..I see much better penetration over a round ball...but half inch holes in and out and not a ton of blood and deer go a little ways before falling...not a huge issue....but stumbled on the Thor and the hornady bullets and thought I may see more expansion and trauma and more blood/quicker kills...powerbelts didn't impress me and get spotty reviews...

I've tried the TC bullets and neither shot well and both kinda fell down the bore..and that ain't good in a hunting gun....

Will stick with the ball-ets I reckon....easy to load..accurate...and deadly...I've piled up some deer with them...just thought I could get more blood and trauma..

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I used Hornady PA Conicals in my CVA this past year.

I can't testify as to how they compare to a PRB because I just started this whole muzzleloader shooting thing and the Hornadys were the first (and thus far only) thing I've tried.

They seem to be VERY accurate and they load really slick in my rifle.

YMMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts