The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what permits it takes to legally make a full-auto ar-15? About how much money will it cost, for permits and parts?

·
Registered
555 Posts
You'll have to get a pre-ban M16 or pre-ban parts that were registered prior to 1986. The cost of the tax stamp (permit) will be a drop in the bucket compared to the $10,000 to $20,000 the rifle/parts will cost you.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The cost of the stamp is I believe $200. Thats per gun. Want a suppresser to go with that new toy thats another $200 stamp. The $10k to $20k is about spot on for a full auto M16.

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
Actually it's a bit low for a transferable M16 these days.

All such Class III goodies have gone up considerably, especially in the past few years.

6 or 8 years ago I could've bought a transferable full auto capable Mini 14 variant for around $1500-$2000. Today they run closer to $4K and up and are really down the list in pricing for such rifles.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
5 minutes on gunbroker only led to 2 found, but I hate their search feature. Both registered colt select fire. On at 20k ad one with a suppresser starting at 17k.

looking through the class 3 sales on gun broker is always a fun way to waste an hour or so and dream

·
Registered
962 Posts
good luck. bring your wallet and a long wait.

If you are serious the first thing that you need to do is visit your chief of law enforcement (county sheriff/local police chief) and see if they are willing to sign off on BATF forms for you to have the weapon.

Next you will have to locate a class III dealer in your area who will handle the transfer for you. Not all FFL holders have a class III license.

Step 3 is to locate the weapon and purchase(pay for the weapon). once paid for you have to wait for the ATF to authorize transfer from selling dealer to local dealer who will hold weapon and process transfer to you. Takes 2-8 weeks.

step 4. Once you local dealer receives the weapon you will have to have your ATF paperwork filled out and signed by head LEO (police chief/sheriff). Procure 2 passport photo's, get finger printed on two of the cards provided by dealer, and write a check for $200 to the BATF.

Once all of this is complete your dealer sends it in to the BATF where an agent will be assigned to your transfer, they do god knows what while taking about 6 months to approve transfer.
Dealer recives your tax stamp in the mail and then you can take your full auto home.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm with the guys recommending the Slide fire stock. The SSAR stock is on $350 and it is legal. I'd like to get one for the AR one of these days. It just looks really fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts