The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody going to this? I think it is like Dixons Gun Fair. I will be there on April 24th with my cousin. If anyone is going, maybe we could meet up and say hey


I will also be scoping out my next custom muzzleoader and gun builder. This way I can handle them to what suits me


Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,645 Posts
It's not anything like Dixon's show. For one, it's about 10 times the size. There are some custom gun makers there, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I didn`t know it was that big!! I wonder which gunmakers show up other than TVM(matt avance) for this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,378 Posts
Octagon, the TVM website has a thread covering the events they'll be attending in 2010. The Ft. Frederick event doesn't appear to be one of them.

I was hoping TVM would be there because I'm planning to order a rifle kit, and this would cover shipping and handling.

I'll call tomorrow to order or wait for Ft. Frederick or Dixon's. The unavailability of Green Mountain barrels is changing the whole picture of amateur gun building. I'll be building one more, and that will be it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the back on my TVM brochure, they say they attend the Ft. Frederick Fair? I will call them tommorow. If they aren`t going to be there I may or may not go. They are one of the ones I really want to handle!!

As a side, I know of what GM did, but have you considered Rice-DeHaas-Goetz or any other barrels for your project?

I am getting a Rice on my gun. Round Bottom rifling option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Why would unavailability of Green Mt barrels(if in fact they are getting hard to find) affect gun building. There are so many other Quality barrel makers Rayl,Hoyt longhammock,Colrain,,Rice just to name a few
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,327 Posts
long hunter said:
Why would unavailability of Green Mt barrels(if in fact they are getting hard to find) affect gun building. There are so many other Quality barrel makers Rayl,Hoyt longhammock,Colrain,,Rice just to name a few
GETZ

This is my daughters 6th birthday weekend so it may turn out to be a day trip for me at the least ===== Im hoping to get at least 2 days since its a BIG event with lots of great folks! Plus I love thos mountains -- lived in Frostburg for 3 years just up the road a piece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,378 Posts
According to Brad Emig, Green Mountain barrels haven't been available for three years due to a government contract for their barrels. I'm well aware of the various other barrel makers, and am sure each offers a quality product (I have a rifle with a Getz, and a fowler with a Colrain). I have three rifles with GM barrels, they're all shooters, and I've always appreciated their pricing.


No doubt, some Green Mountain barrels remain on some shelves. I got a .54 cal. GM pistol barrel last year at Dixon's. Probably any surplus will disappear rapidly, removing a quality, alternative choice for amateur builders, but that's just my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,407 Posts
What puzzles me, is that if they aren't availble, why do they keep running full page ads in Muzzle Blasts? Are they hoping to start up again soon?

I stopped at a local gun shop last Friday, and the proprietor told me if I want ammo, buy it now, and expect a 30% increase by years end. BS or not, I don't know.

I remember some of the stuff sold as barrels back in the day. Off center Numrich barrels, and some others that needs to be wedged in a forked tree to be straightened.

Muzzleloading barrels have come a long way, and Green Mountain sure kept their prices lower than many.

I just might make it down there this year.

Maybe I'd take a few of the new barrels that I will never use and trade them off to make room in the shop.

Anybody intereste in a 36 inch 1.5 inch diameter 58 caliber barrel blank? (Lots of meat on the barrel for stupid charges.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
I think I might go there for the first day, it is and hour and a half from my place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,378 Posts
I figuring 3 to 4 hours for me, but it would saving me $50. worth of shipping and handling to pick up a rifle kit from TVM!
You understand us old fellows need to stop more frequently, for some reason.


It would be nice to meet up with some, "like-minded HuntingPA folks", and share some stories. I need to do one more rifle, and TVM seems to offer the best deal. Bunky has touted this special gathering, and he is a person I trust.

If they'll fetch an iron mounted Pa. kit for me, I'll make the drive. I may have to include Mrs. Berks if the homeward drive involves some night time driving. Her eyes are a bit younger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,407 Posts
Berks I can't imagine it is that far for you, even with the stops. It really isn't far from the PA I-81 line. It took me a bit less than an hour from DC. I haven't been there since 1997. A really impressive stone fort and reconstructed block house. Perhaps not as grand as Ft Ticonderoga, but still impressive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,378 Posts
Zimmer, I figure 2 and a half hours to the MD border from here. You have to understand that I'll need to refuel the system with sausage gravy and biscuits at the Iron Kettle before I get on I-81 at Carlisle.


From the Mason/Dixon Line, I have no clue where the fort is situated or how far astray it may be. Adequate amounts of morning coffee pretty much determine the space between required stops at this point in life.


If a gathering of like-minded HPa'ers can be arranged, I'd be honored to participate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
well like I said I am planning on going on the first day. I live in Mechanisburg about a mile or so off of the Wertzvill Rd exit on rt 81. According to google maps it is 81 ish miles for me and an hour and a half
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
What puzzles me, is that if they aren't availble, why do they keep running full page ads in Muzzle Blasts? Are they hoping to start up again soon?

I stopped at a local gun shop last Friday, and the proprietor told me if I want ammo, buy it now, and expect a 30% increase by years end. BS or not, I don't know.

I remember some of the stuff sold as barrels back in the day. Off center Numrich barrels, and some others that needs to be wedged in a forked tree to be straightened.

Muzzleloading barrels have come a long way, and Green Mountain sure kept their prices lower than many.

I just might make it down there this year.

Maybe I'd take a few of the new barrels that I will never use and trade them off to make room in the shop.

Anybody intereste in a 36 inch 1.5 inch diameter 58 caliber barrel blank? (Lots of meat on the barrel for stupid charges.)

I spoke with Branch Meanley (the founder of Grn Mtn) about what is going on with Green Mtn. barrels. I was told that yes they had orders to fill (black rifles) but that they plan to ketch up with the production of BP barrels and to focus more on muzzle loading barrels.


Chris Laubach
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
c_laubach said:
zimmerstutzen said:
What puzzles me, is that if they aren't availble, why do they keep running full page ads in Muzzle Blasts? Are they hoping to start up again soon?

I stopped at a local gun shop last Friday, and the proprietor told me if I want ammo, buy it now, and expect a 30% increase by years end. BS or not, I don't know.

I remember some of the stuff sold as barrels back in the day. Off center Numrich barrels, and some others that needs to be wedged in a forked tree to be straightened.

Muzzleloading barrels have come a long way, and Green Mountain sure kept their prices lower than many.

I just might make it down there this year.

Maybe I'd take a few of the new barrels that I will never use and trade them off to make room in the shop.

Anybody intereste in a 36 inch 1.5 inch diameter 58 caliber barrel blank? (Lots of meat on the barrel for stupid charges.)

I spoke with Branch Meanley (the founder of Grn Mtn) about what is going on with Green Mtn. barrels. I was told that yes they had orders to fill (black rifles) but that they plan to ketch up with the production of BP barrels and to focus more on muzzle loading barrels.


Chris Laubach
Good news Chris!! Thanks
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top