The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was out walking around the property the other day and noticed the oaks had no acorns, the hickory trees had no nuts, and the apple and pear trees had little or no fruit. My home is just South of Route 6 in East Troy. I know we need rain but this is a complete 180 from last year when there was an abundance. I've been here for 20 years and I know there are cycles that occur but I can't remember the trees being so bare. Is this happening statewide ? Is anyone seeing the same in their area ?
Thanks,
Lou

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
Every thing is bad this year. No one around here even has sweet corn yet. Our 50 blueberry plants gave us almost 20 gallons of blueberries to freeze last year. This year so far we only got a few quarts. (Despite irrigation) I am trying to get grass to grow in our newly graded yard and the sprinkler spins slowly making a 40 ft diameter circle. The ground was already dry by the time the thing made a full circle.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I have 3 acres with a small amount of woods that butts up to a larger tract of woods. I have 5 apple trees and 3 pear trees in my yard. I haven't even looked at the pear trees but my apple trees are loaded and dropping and the deer are loving it. The groundhogs love it as well. My Father-in-Law also picked enough blackberries to make 15 small jars of jelly.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Things don't seem as bad in my area of Northeast PA as they do in Northcentral. Sweet corn's starting to come in too.

·
Registered
25,220 Posts
zero apples, very few pears, nothing in the way of nuts oak hickory or beech. Some grapes, little autumn olive, dogwoods look ok, black haw ok, lot of raspberries right now, lot of bush honey suckle berries, seeing some winterberry still green,

Lou I'm in the NW corner of Bradford close to Tioga Co line and NY State line.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'm in the Canton area of Bradford with my camp/summer home close to Shunk in Sullivan County. Apple trees are loaded, blueberries are like grapes, and the beech nuts are the most I have seen since we bought the property 13 years ago. We do need lots of rain though. Creeks and ponds are extremely low. We have had some years where the weather seemed perfect only to have zero apples and blueberries. My guess is it's just a down cycle for your area. Any other factors that may have played a roll besides the lack of rain? New buildings or farming or ????

·
Super Moderator
14,702 Posts
Around here, in Elk County, The apples look good, there are loads of red oak acorns and at least some places have some white oak acorns. Haven't been out to check on the chestnut oak acorns. Grapes in the areas I have checked seem to be pretty good. Blue berries are great. Lot of black berries if we get enough rain for them to finish developing and ripen. A few red raspberries in a couple spots right now. Some trees have a few cherry but much of the area saw the cherry trees defoliated from the cherry scallop scale moth this year so not cherry in wild cherries in those area. Have soon some trees with beech nuts though I don't know if they are good ones or not. We need rain very bad and very soon though or we might see trees start and early fruit and nut drop just to survive.

In general though the mast in this area still looks pretty promising right now. Let's pray for some rain soon though.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
18,571 Posts
Tween 3B and 3D. Hardly any apples or pears. Raspberries are producing plenty the wild red and yellow are about finishe as well as the black caps. Blue berries both high and low bush are producing like crazy. Grapes are hanging a large crop at this time but still green and growing. Acorns seem on the light side but still enough to go around. Now someone mentioned the beechnut crop and I must say this is the most I can recall ever. I had to step back and take a better look at the trees because I did not think they were beech.
In general I would say the soft mast from trees will be on the light side but the vines should see a bumper crop around here if they get some water to survive. The hard mast seems to be doing just fine. Just a small observation. Waugh!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts