The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Need some help trying to identify what type of tree and fruit this is. I've been looking online and can't seem to match up what it may be. I bought my house last summer and up until now just assumed it was a cherry tree since that's what the fruit that fell to the ground looked like. Recently I got a puppy and found out that cherries and cherry trees can be toxic to dogs so I wanted to get a better understand just what type of tree this is. I'm clueless so any tips you guys may recommend would be great.

The tree is 25-30ft tall.

Picture of the bark to hopefully help.

Inside of the fruit. It looks like it has 4 of those red seeds that are hard.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. The only crabapple trees I seen growing up always had the green apples on them (at least I thought). But looking at the seeds inside there it does seem to make sense.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Looks like crabapple to me too. My grandfather had a green crabapple tree. The apples were smaller than domestic blueberries. Not sure if these crabapples can be eaten since I don't know the exact variety, but beware. Too many crabapples can make your stomach hurt!! Been there, done that. I love them b/c they are very sour. Of course, I have been known to eat rhubarb right out of the garden too...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No thorns at all on the tree. We're still trying our best to keep the puppy away from the tree. The problem is the base of the tree is technically on the neighbors side of the property line but it's growing towards our yard and dropping it's leaves/fruit in our yard.

I did bite into one to see what it taste like and it did taste quit sour.

·
Registered
454 Posts
They do look like a form of crabapple, although i have somekind of plum trees around the border of my yard that has fruit that very closely resemble what you got there.

Also the bark and leaves look like my plums.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts