The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a variety of fruit trees 2-3 years old and have read conflicting advice on fertilizer applications. What have you guys used that seems to work the best? I have assorted apple, Kieffer pear, wild pear and crabapples.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
we put some 10-10-10 fertilizer in when planting them about 5 years ago none since . but I can't remember what to do after that ,I seen it somewhere but I can't remember wheror when I saw it . sorry I can't be of more help. unless there is an orchard or fruit farm near you ,that you could check with. .good look and let us know what you find out

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I remember something about sprinkling fertilizer out from the drip line of the tree but can't remember how much, maybe someone can tell us how much

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Last spring, I dug 3 holes with a little garden hand shovel around the tree and used a cup of 10-10-10 for each tree

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you want to know what the professionals do, just go to an orchard and asked them what kind of fertilizer they use and when they apply it. They will help you and you will get valid information. Another avenue would be to contact your farm extension office and ask one of the extension agents, helping people grow things is what they do and it is free.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Look at PSU Home Orchard Guide...available online or paper copy. Best resource I have for my orchard.

With that said, you have to consider your individual conditions. Get a soil test done. If nitrogen is adequate, no need to fertilize, otherwise you will get a ton of vegetative growth and little fruiting wood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts