The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 50'x5' roll of fence for fruition trees at camp. I think 5' is high enough to keep deer out. How big a circle should I put around them to keep deer from eating them. The trees are 4'-6' semidwarf apple trees

·
Registered
679 Posts
I use 5' fence on my trees as well and it is plenty high to keep deer off them. I did a 3' diameter cage which equal 9.5 linear feet of fence. I found this to be sufficient and would give you 5 cages. A 4' diameter cage would be 12.5 feet of fence and 5' would be 15.5' of fence but I like the 3' myself. Good luck with your efforts!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't gotten the posts yet. Lowes had a decent on T posts. I will look into them as I can use them for my Bluebird boxes

·
Registered
806 Posts
3' is to small at a 5' height. these trees need to branch out. I also used 5' tall on some. but after a year or so, the trees were growing through my fence, and I have had 4' and 5' diameter circles of fence. you can also get a tin snip, and in 4 different spots, clip about 18" down from the top and bend fence flaps outward / downward, like tulip petals. this has worked well for me, I leave points sticking outward to discourage the deer.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I would go at least 4' diameter. If you have bears pick your fruit off of them, before they do. I had several trees that finally started producing a good crop of apples after 5 or 6 years and bears destroyed all my cages and trees.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lowes has 6' U-Post for $4.33. I will use them for fruit trees & Bluebird boxes, cheaper than 1/2 conduit

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Lowes has 6' U-Post for $4.33. I will use them for fruit trees & Bluebird boxes, cheaper than 1/2 conduit
Home depot 1/2' is 2.60 each for 10' length , 3/4' is $4.20 each. Buy 100 or more the price goes down. I have cut in half for our cages.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts