The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you keep exp. broadheads from freezing up while on stand ? I thought about using "reel magic" on them it works for my trolling reels in late season fishing . Any other tips

LEM

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
how are your broadheads going to freeze when they are protected under the quiver ??
therer isnt anything on them to freeze also
you should be got to go reguardless

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
He's probably talking about the arrow that is nocked,reel magic would probably work,personally I'd use a fixed head,why leave it to chance?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Personally I would think that any moisture build up would not be significant enough to stop them from opening at impact. Unless it's freezing rain out, but then why would you be out bow hunting in that junk is beyond me.
Great concern and great fore site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where I live along the lake Erie shoreline weather can change very quickly from rain to frezzing to snow in the time period of an evening hunt add in the wind chill and things can get cold in a hurry . I just want to be prepared .

LEM

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I would be shocked if they wouldn't open
Unless you sit in a ice storm for 8 hrs and they have a 1/4" of ice on them
A little bit of "slush" if you will shouldn't matter

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The last two years I have used mechanical broadheads. This year I hit a buck with the grim reapers . The arrow only penetrated about 12" at 14 yds. The buck was a 13 pt. I will never use a mechanical head again. I will stick with a fixed head.I got caught up in the hype about the mechanicals and while they may be great for straight broadside shots I don't like the way it performed on a high angle shot. I know that a fixed broadhead would have penetrated all the way through and the deer would be dead. I wouldn't leave it to chance if hey will open or not. It's hard to beat what works all the time. Just my hard learned 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
sparkchaser said:
This year I hit a buck with the grim reapers . The arrow only penetrated about 12" at 14 yds. I know that a fixed broadhead would have penetrated all the way through and the deer would be dead.
Not sure where you hit him but 12" of penetration should be enough to be a dead deer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts