The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever have any luck (Good or bad) with frost-seeding with white (Ladino) Clover in March. S/W PA. local.

·
Super Moderator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does any time work or better wet? etc.? How big of any area? and how well did it produce?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Frost seeded my pond bank in northern Kentucky last March 1st. Generally the same weather, frost dates, etc, as SW PA.

Started with this - on the left side of this pic. Weeds had been bush hogged by prior Owner in Fall of 2011.

After a couple of mowings to get ahead of the weeds, I had this in fall 2012. Taken from the opposite end of the opening from above pic.

Area is only 1/10 acre, and about half of that has quite a bit of fescue. Where the fescue is, the clover did not do as well, but some did make it. I already frost seeded this again a couple weeks ago, and will spray the fescue in April, to try to improve on what's already a decent clover patch. This little patch saw heavy use from the deer in Nov/Dec.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Clethodim. Actually, the KY dept of fish & wildlife will provide me with the herbicide, since I have fescue to get rid of in some other fields. The biologist mentioned Cleth, but if he substitutes something else, I'll be using that instead.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
We frost seeded our clover two weeks ago. First time we've done it.... So I'll keep you posted on the results.

·
Super Moderator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plan to pick up some seed today to test an area or two. We have been plowing, tilling, fertilizing, applying lime and mowing several times a year.

This seems too easy....

·
Super Moderator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did my frost planting yesterday as a test in the sparse areas of my existing lover fields....

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
not going to frost seed our plot. I'm mowing about 1/2 acre plot (currently about head high briars, weeds, overgrown field) this friday. Going to mow and plow it, and if needed before planting i'll spray any weeds that are sprouting with glyphosate. Going to do a white/red mix probaly early to mid april.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts