The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ZERO experience with this stuff. But it looks like it might be the berries for my up & coming Merriam's hunt. Looks very packable. How durable is it ?? How rain-proof is it ??

Opinions ?? Experiences ??

Thanks in advance !!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a set of the Frog Toggs and it is very waterproof but it is also very stiff and noisy. I usually use other more flexible rain wear for hunting turkeys but I when it is a downpour the Frog Toggs will keep you dry. Good luck on the Merriams. I went last year to SD and was able to limit out the first day

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Buddy tried to wear a set in Newfoundland. Got all tore up within 2 days. Might be good for "just rain gear", but I wasn't impressed for hunting.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
The frog toggs stuff is waterproof, but the material it is made of turns me off big time, and I am guessing it isnt very durable....

I looked at it when I was looking for light packable rain rainwear, and I ended up getting the Cabelas dry plus space rain ultra pack, it is durable, lightweight, and it definitely keeps you dry..........it fits in 2 small pouches not much bigger than the size of a softball....

Cabelas Rain Gear

I also have the Cabelas rain suede packable stuff, but it is a little heavier, and more bulky to pack.....

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Love the frogg toggs..but noisy...wear mine for fishing,around camp...i have worn it under my scent blocker to coner up the noise from it...definatly will kee you dry...i wore it during hurricane sandy trying to secure a few things in the yard..wotked well..i have the black with camo sleeves

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I have a set of Frogg Toggs in Camo that I use mostly for fishing.

I agree that the material does not feel all that substantial and is was noisy at first.

Now that thye have been used more the fabric isn't as noisy and fells somewhat softer.

As far as durability; if I can get them on my fat butt while sitting in a pickup without rips they are stornger than you may think.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yes noisy and waterproof. Durable? Yes but, they were not made for going through thick woods and brush and I doubt they would last through much crawling, stick pokes, or picker bushes. But for fishing or hunting in open woods like the open hardwoods they should be fine. They are packable.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I like mine, it is good for being on stand and it gets quiet when it is broken in. I never would have tried to brush bust with it, it obviously will not hold up.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
For hunting it is noisy and gets a lot of tears and pulls in the brush. Works well for me as packable raingear for fishing but better for boat than on brushy streams.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts