The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start off by saying, I am not a taxidermist. However, I do a considerable amount of business with a couple of very reputable taxidermists. After reading many posts in this forum over the last several years about guys not getting their trophy back, I thought I would also post this friendly reminder.

There are many taxidermists who pride themselves on getting trophy's back to the owner in a speedy fashion. They do this because its a good business practice and also because they need the income to pay their bills.

When your taxidermist calls, stating your animal is ready for pickup, you should pick your animal up ASAP. In many cases, that months bills may not be able to be paid, until the critters that have been completed during that month have been picked up and paid for in full.

I wouldn't like it if my employer did not want to pay me for this weeks work, until next month. This holds true for taxidermists.

Just a friendly reminder as last years trophy's have been/will be completed in the near future and a new hunting season lingering right around the corner.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
My mounts have always been picked up within the hour of notified completion. . . cash in hand.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fly Guy said:
My mounts have always been picked up within the hour of notified completion. . . cash in hand.
I'm with you. I can't get there fast enough.

·
Banned
649 Posts
Re: Friendly Reminder to Pick Your Trophy Up Promp

wish all clients were like you two, for the most part mine come within a day or two about 80% of them.

·
Registered
999 Posts
A friend of mine who is a taxidermist has told me that this has been the worst year for chasing down customers for money. He's been in business for 40 years. With the economy being bad and people losing their jobs I can understand why he said that.
With that being said it would also be greatly appreciated by any taxidermist that if a customer, has anything in their shop, and has or will be losing their job it would be considerate to give them a call and let them know. This way you can arrange accordingly as to when to schedule your work if it hasn't already been started, or perhaps to arrange a payment schedule if the work is completed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
mike had a customer call the other day to say...hey could you hold off on mounting my buck, i lost my job or money is tight. he really appreciated this call. when the customer gets back on his feet he will call and mike will do it then. it is so much better than having them sit around the shop too long. i would say most people (if they can) come as soon as possible...i mean its like getting a present right? the anticipation of seeing it usually brings them over within the week!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with letinmfly. If my customers are experiencing financial difficulties, I would very much welcome a phone call making me aware of it. I would be more than willing to work with them during times of hardship. Honesty and openness means a lot.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I've got some unclaimed stuff here, including 870.00 of tanned furs from one customer. The guy said he lost his job, then got another but at much less pay, and that was the last I heard from him. Oh yeah he mentioned hunting trips he was still going to go on. But he couldn't pay me for the skins. Oh he was going to give me something but he called and I didn't answer the phone on that particular call ( I can be outside far from any phone, but I will call you back), so when I called him some hours later he was like "no money". It's been 2+ years now and not a word from him. He never tried to work out a payment plan. Before his job loss woes he always picked up and paid promptly- for years. This time he paid off his coyote mount, but didn't have anything left for the furs OR his bear. Yes I have a tanned black bear, soaked out for a full mount, in a freezer, as well as 870.00 in furs. I think it might be time to find out the exact proceedure for me to fully legally make me the owner of these items so I can sell them ( you have to send a certified letter stating certain things to the last known address of the deadbeat). I'm not sure how that works on the bear in MD though, but it was taken in Canada, not MD, so DNR may have some provision for allowing an unclaimed non MD bear to be sold.

On the flip side, I've got a dog skin in a freezer and an old lady willing to pay 35.00 a month. Rediculous I know, but she was really pesky. And I felt sorry for her- she had spent a bunch of money she really didn't have to buy bags of ice to keep the large sized dog very cold for 4 days during one of the heat waves. Yes, she sent her first payment a few weeks ago, with a hand written letter that sounded like something my 89 year old grandma (sharp minded) would write.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
How much is her dog mount going to be? I assume this was her pet??

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
My uncle Bob has been a taxidermist for about 50 years now and always seems to get stuck with a few mounts every season. He'll put them up for sale to the general public for a while, if they don't sell he'll tear them down to salvage the mold and hang the rack up in the rafters of his shop. If ya can't afford the mount don't hire a taxidermist, and when they call ya go get the dang thing and pay them.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
About the dog- I told her it could be $1500-2000.00 depending how picky she is ( she isn't picky at all, just wants him laying like he's asleep- I can alter a wolf form sold by Jonas). I also told her all that gets done till the right amount has been paid, is skinning. The lady was complaining of her health and she looked and smelled like a homeless person. She had some poor willing soul drive her here. If she dies or won't pay anymore, the skin gets buried next to the rest of the dog.

I will say one thing- she took good care of the dog up till it's death. There was not a flea in sight and she said the dog would pee on itself, yet it did not reek of old urine, so she must have been cleaning the dog alot. Then the bags and bags of ice and wrapping this all up in old blankets and stuff, for 4 days, changing the ice out daily. She took much better care of the dog than she did of herself.

Def one of the more interesting charactors I've had here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts