The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Thursday evening I watch a big 10point chasing doe in the thick briars 30yrds to my left. I was set up so the bedding area was to my left and a steep point to my right and i was over looking it all. That's all i seen from noon till dark on Thursday.

Friday morning i get in the stand around 530. As I'm sitting there not 5mins the deer start moving into the bedding area. I could see the silhouettes of them moving around in the moon light. Then one comes in making alot more noise then a normal deer walking. Its walking straight towards me then turns to my right and beds down on the lower side of the point. Daylight comes and I keep watching that side bc with the wind direction I figured it was a buck scent checking does in the bedding area. Well it got the best of me so I grunted. Sure enough I here the deer get up and it walks around the point. At that point I was hoping for the big guy but a basket 6pt comes around. As he rounds the point he fell over and then got up and turned broadside. That's when I seen his right rear back leg. His hoof was pointing the wrong direction and tou could notice the swelling on that leg. He wandered off to my left and got into the thick stuff. At this point he gave me no clean shots. As I watched him walk off I thought I need to try and get him to come back. So I grunted again. Then he grunted and came back in a hurry. With him not being able to put weight on that leg he kept bouncing he rear off trees. He got to 20yrds broadside. I grunted to stop him and took the shot. When he tried to turn and run he fell and rolled around trying to get up. Finally he gets to his feet and runs off bouncing off trees. He gets to about 50yrds out and just stops. I could see the blood when he got to his feet so I knew he wouldn't be going far. He stood the for about 30sec and started to wobble and then he fell over.

I texted the wife to let her know and then the fun began. I got out of the stand at 730. Then the hour hike back to the truck through the thick nasty stuff to shed clothes off, grab more water, and grab the dragging rope. Walked back in which is easier then out bc it's mostly down hill going in. Crawled on my hands and knees back into the briars where he went down and drug him out from there to field dress. Then drug him back to the truck. I didnt get to the truck till around 130. Then I walked back in to get my stand and hiked back out. Ran home and got him skinned and hung up. After that I had a drink and dinner and called it a night.

It was a long day. I think next yr he would of been a nice buck. His rack had potential but he lost the battle with a car. When I skinned him the whole right back leg was bruised and mushy. So I cut the leg off and found the femur shattered. Not sure if he would of made it to next yr but I decide to end his suffering.

Thanks for reading. 20141112_085253_1573999802609.jpg

20141112_085253_1573999802609.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
18,788 Posts
Nice one! Thanks for sharing and congrats!

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
Congrats. You did the right thing. And there's no need to wait until next year. He's a nice buck now.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats. You did the right thing. And there's no need to wait until next year. He's a nice buck now.
Thanks his def a nice buck this yr. I wonder what he would of looked like next yr tho. I have no complaints tho. It was a neat experience to watch an injured buck still pushing on trying to breed and responding to calls that much. I would of thought he wouldn't be too excited about it considering the injury

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the comments. I got the skull plate off and cleaning it up to hang in the room with all the other mounts and hunting gear.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Congratulations, 3yrs ago I had a decent buck come gimping out of a thick block of timber to a small brassica plot towards the end of shooting time to 35yds the last Friday of rifle season. Since it was a low pressure property and I had a junior hunter and his dad as guests I decided to not shoot him and set the youngster up the next evening at that spot. I was sure he would be back the next evening as it was real cold with decent snow cover. I heard the shot about 15min. before the close of the season, I headed over to them with a big smile on my face but found them standing over a small 1.5yr old. I went up and gave him a big smile, hand shake , and pat on the back. As they were dragging him out I stayed behind for a few minutes sitting on a stump feeling terrible for not killing that deer when I had the chance to end his suffering. I found his skull and rack in March shed hunting 125yds from the plot in a patch of briars. To this day I still think of that buck, I have his skull in my garage to remind me to do what you did, well done

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congratulations, 3yrs ago I had a decent buck come gimping out of a thick block of timber to a small brassica plot towards the end of shooting time to 35yds the last Friday of rifle season. Since it was a low pressure property and I had a junior hunter and his dad as guests I decided to not shoot him and set the youngster up the next evening at that spot. I was sure he would be back the next evening as it was real cold with decent snow cover. I heard the shot about 15min. before the close of the season, I headed over to them with a big smile on my face but found them standing over a small 1.5yr old. I went up and gave him a big smile, hand shake , and pat on the back. As they were dragging him out I stayed behind for a few minutes sitting on a stump feeling terrible for not killing that deer when I had the chance to end his suffering. I found his skull and rack in March shed hunting 125yds from the plot in a patch of briars. To this day I still think of that buck, I have his skull in my garage to remind me to do what you did, well done
If I was in the same shoes as you at the time I would of done the same thing!

I too have a skull in my lil man cave too remind me to keep tracking further. Many yrs ago I lost blood on a real nice 8pt I hit and found blood. I followed it till I couldn't find anymore. Being young I didnt go more than 25yds from where it ended. Well in the summer while scouting I found it about 50yrds from where I stopped looking. He went right to a small stream. So from that time forward if I loose blood I grid search for 100 or so yards. I wont let that happen again. We are human and learn from what we do.

·
Super Moderator
3,793 Posts
Nice buck, congrats!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts