The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Trout 2003?

Oh. I see this came up in a previous post. It appears this guy is using pictures trout2003 has posted in this forum to promote the white bead gold.

·
20,203 Posts
Well, staying completely impartial as I have little to nothing to do with 'Craigs Lures' other then I know him and my picture is there with permission (because I'm so dang handsome!!), I think it is a stretch to call them 'Franks Lures' lol. As Frank admits himself, there is nothing propriotery about those spinners and in fact there were lots of look alikes before and after he started making them. There is nothing revolutionary about the idea nor the design. If someone decides to go ahead and try and make money off a successful product then good for them. My hunch is that if Frank wanted to make a business out of 'his' design then he would have already done so. Craig also does not have a patent on this I'm sure so 50 other people could so the same thing if they wanted. Making it 'work'....well, that's a whole different issue.

One other tid bit is that I showed Craig how to make the spinners so if anyone should be upset it would be me...which I am decidely not. I could care less. If he takes the initiative and makes it work then more power to him. But Craig never even knew Frank existed when I taught him how to spinner fish and make spinners. If you wanna be upset with anyone about it aim it at me....To add to that, Frank didn't teach me how to build spinners either. He provided an idea/picture to me in a magazine and I went to build one like it. I had no recipe. Not even any idea if they were plastic or solid brass at first. It took me a few years to figure it all out before the internet even existed and to this day my spinner look the same as Franks but we use different weights and product manufaturers. The spinner I use performs differntly then the one Frank uses. I've used a 'Frank' spinner last year and cut it off the line after a few minutes. That's not an insult, just that I couldnt fish the different weight very well. Frank would equally stuggle with my lighter spinner.

Again. I have no formal affiliation with the product and dont use them. The point of this post is not to promote Craigs Lures in any way nor defend the product or idea. I was sorta dragged into this convo via post #2. Should my affiliation change down the road you'll certainly know it haha. Thanks for inquiring though.

·
20,203 Posts
Just out of curiosity I also just checked the Tips that you mentioned were Franks. All I saw was the eye protection which one could argue is a liability requirement and the casting upstream. Frank certainly preaches upstream casting. The recommended knot and reel gear ratio I taught Craig and myself over the years. I was thinking I'd see the '10 commandments of spinner fishing' there or something. Again, I never had the luxury of those things starting out so Im partially self taught and much better for it. I did teach Craig almost everything I know though so........

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand that anyone can make and sell the spinners, but when I stumbled upon the sight it rubbed me the wrong way that Craig was clearly claiming that he developed an identical spinner. This is clearly not a newton\Leibniz situation.

Sell the spinner all u want, but don't claim to have invented that exact color scheme etc.

If lance Eagan can claim to have invented the frenchie nymph, a pheasant tail with a hotspot, surely Frank invented this version of an inline spinner.

·
20,203 Posts
But im confused littlej. If Frank had no influence on craigs spinner fishing education how could he be expected to credit him for anything. I dont think he knew who frank was till he started posting on hpa a few years back. It would be like Goodyear having to give credit to the person that invented the rubber tire lol. Now me, I've credited Frank and his brother Mark more than I can count over the years for planting the seed and providing an idea. But I'm not selling anything......please dont take me as being defensive in this as that's not my intent at all. I have zero vested interest in Craig's Lures at this time. It's just that at some point who taught who what matters.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just don't claim to have independently created something when you didn't. GoodYear doesn't have to give credit, but they shouldn't be silly enough to claim credit either when the influence is obvious.

I think Craig is using the vanilla ice argument.

Who did invent the rubber tire?

·
Registered
358 Posts
littlej81 said:
CoonDuke said:
That's what I'm getting at. Sell all the lures you want but don't plagiarize. Cite your info and give credit where it is due!
I absolutely give credit where it is due and that is Zak. Thanks to his tutelage I began tinkering with spinner designs well before I knew who Frank was. Heck, when Frank came on this forum I thought he copied Zak!

I appreciate that you have an affection for Frank, I seen that you used his designs in your build but to come out of nowhere and make an accusation that I am just copying his work is unfounded.

I suggest you review the history of my screen name, you will see that I changed my screen name of Troy McClure years ago. You will then recognize that I have been on this forum a few years before Frank. I don't know that the history exists on the site any more but you will even see I have provided tutorials on how to use a Hagen's Wire Former to build these spinners. You will also learn that Zak and I have been chasing trout together for many years.

As Zak noted in another thread, the fact that successful spin anglers come to similar conclusions is because all of us influence each other. You take a tip, try it and if it makes you better, you adopt it. This exact scenario is why I started making spinners and tinkering with different designs for many years, documenting how many strikes and hook-sets each design would produce. While I will recognize that Frank is a pioneer in spin fishing in Pa, his influence has nothing to do with my spinners or fishing style. His indirect influence however may be responsible? Once again, we all influence each other but do not discredit my work.

Speaking of work, just like the website says, I never intended to sell spinners. I would refuse requests here and other sites because I did not want the forming of a company or tax headaches. I already own a successful company and know the continual work required to take on a venture such as this but after years of people prodding that I should sell them I changed my mind because simply put, I felt selfish.

I like to see people catch fish! I think I enjoy that even more than catching them myself so I decided that the headaches would be worth it. Those headaches included forming a company, a trademark, a tax id, a sales tax id, patent searches, etc. and then creating the online presence. I am happy to say that while it was not easy and the upfront costs were significant, it was all achieved and worth it as anglers can now get these spinners that work easily.

·
20,203 Posts
Robert William Thomson invented the rubber tire in 1845. Solid invention! But in reality he should probably have credited the Ancient Mesopotamians for inventing the wheel lol.

Juuuuuuuust kiidddding!!!! :)

I am now removing myself from this topic.

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
This is one of my favorite threads ever on HPA. Right up there with the argument, a couple years ago, of who had the best team of rabbit hunting dogs. And of course the bigfoot and mountain lion threads.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Never met Frank - love his pics..

Never met TRoutspinner - but I will soon.

Bought a dozen of his Craigs Lures Spinners,,

they are the Bomb...!!!!! B O O M !!!

now, if he would put a pic of his handsome swavey mentor on the package - I will buy a Gross !!!

and pass out sample packs to to Lady Fish-Heads,

will even convert my gal-pal April-Vokey to spin-head (if TS adds a pink bead,,, she will promote 4 sure

and Troutspinner will be a GazillionaIre !!!

B O O M !!!

FISH ON!!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not to put a fly in the ointment but i have fished with John Eggers from the Twin Cities maybe 18 years ago and he goes by the spindoctor and his spinners he makes and markets look very similar.

they are called eggers spinners.

Not sure how long they have been around.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
He charges $ 4.75 and $ 5.00 for spinners (Egger's). Way too expensive for a spinner as far as I'n concerned.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Trout 2003 said:
Robert William Thomson invented the rubber tire in 1845. Solid invention! But in reality he should probably have credited the Ancient Mesopotamians for inventing the wheel lol.

Juuuuuuuust kiidddding!!!! :)

I am now removing myself from this topic.
Thanks for the tire info!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts