The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this been posted on here already? If it has, let me know and I'll move it.

Interesting stories on this clip. Not sure exactly what to believe, but found it interesting nonetheless.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
seen it before. kind of like the documentary gas land. made by anti gas groups, fear mongering. it was made with the intenet to scare people and get them on the anti buss. they did a good job of that, but not showing the truth.

every few months there is someone running around filming stuff around here. i think most saw the money the guy who made gas land made, and are trying there own approach at it. add that to the fact that we are close to new york and there are plenty of anti groups up there trying to stop it, so they are motavated.

you are correct , some of the stuff they put in theese films is could be very concerning...if it were true.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never mentioned it was fair or reasoned, just that it was interesting. I'm quite aware of the tactics and such used in these types of clips.

Some would say it's all true others would say it's nothing more then propaganda. I take no position as I have nothing at stake in this particular arena.

Take it for what it's worth... I made no position, nor do I have one, regarding this matter by posting this.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Basically there are two 'truths' involved. You have the anti's side and the industry side. In my opinion both sides exaggerate facts in order to produce a smoking gun in favor of their view. It is my opinion that even if the 'actual truth' lies squarely in the middle there is reasonable cause to be concerned. Add to that the number of incidents happening - spills, illegal dumping, blowouts, contaminated water reports, etc and one could reasonably form the opinion that this technology is not exactly safe in it's present form.

As someone has mentioned it's not 100 percent safe to drive a car or walk down some streets at night. While this is also true those risks can usually be mitigated. Once an aquifer is tainted there is no known way to clean it up. It's gone.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This is why these "grass root" documentaries keep popping up.

every few months there is someone running around filming stuff around here. i think most saw the money the guy who made gas land made, and are trying there own approach at it. add that to the fact that we are close to new york and there are plenty of anti groups up there trying to stop it, so they are motavated.

you are correct , some of the stuff they put in theese films is could be very concerning...if it were true. [/quote]

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
long read, but very worth while, thanks for posting !

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Peppy said:
I never mentioned it was fair or reasoned, just that it was interesting. I'm quite aware of the tactics and such used in these types of clips.

Some would say it's all true others would say it's nothing more then propaganda. I take no position as I have nothing at stake in this particular arena.

Take it for what it's worth... I made no position, nor do I have one, regarding this matter by posting this.
no matter what table you sit at, you better believe you have something at stake.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not if the total fracking process/operation is 100% safe like many suggest.

·
Registered
369 Posts
timberdoodle said:
posting on here is not 100% safe
agreed, however a post can be removed or edited. (risk mitigated)
A tainted aquifer can not be restored with any technology currently available.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
timberdoodle said:
posting on here is not 100% safe
That's true... I just split a nail!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Peppy said:
Not if the total fracking process/operation is 100% safe like many suggest.
I dont' think anyone is saying the gas drilling process is 100% safe. Even pro-gassers have to admit there have been screwups already. CHK blowout in Leroy, Dimock, PA, Dunkard Creek, to name just a few in PA.

·
Registered
369 Posts
timberdoodle said:
a check of all the wells in this or any State might reveal some 'taint'...with or without drilling.
Absolutely, then again when non naturally occuring chemcial compounds are showing up in water wells in close proximity to gas wells AND the gas drillers happen to use those same chemical compounds... Well let's just say it gives anyone with an ounce of common sense reason to question the safety of the process.

·
Registered
369 Posts
timberdoodle said:
Dunkard Creek was mine drainage... but enough of it for tonite I'm going to bed
http://gardenstatetrout.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5711

While scientists are slowly learning about the after effects of fracking discharge, coal mines have been draining into Dunkard Creek for years without causing a fish-kill. It was this anomaly that led Reynolds to question the source of the drainage. Although the discharge could have come from the coal mining companies digging deeper into the earth, according to Reynolds it could also have been a result of the mining companies combining coal mining waste and natural gas waste.

Further evidence has emerged which challenges the EPA’s blame on coal mining. Early readings of the water showed high amounts of gas-associated TDS. Also, in March, authorities arrested a waste hauler for improper disposal of fracking discharge. Allan Shipman is accused of dumping the dischage in tributaries of Dunkard Creek. Currently, allegations against Shipman only allege illegal dumping downstream from the fish-kill.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
g17
journeyman

Loc: nepa That's just it, vertical drilling would not be considered a money maker for the gas industry. Hence the newer technology of horizontal fracking which is a relatively 'newer' technology. It has not been around since the 40's and it really hasn't been tested. Ingraffea is some sort of expert in the field out of Cornell University. I think I'd have to side with him on this. I don't believe it is a safe method at all and it seems every month there is another story in the news.. someone saying gas drilling contaminated the water, gas companies saying they didnt. Now the EPA is saying they did. That's enough in my mind that it should warrant a more scrutinizing look.

i find it funny that you are on board with the EPA when they support your cause as in your above quote. then you post the article above which cast doubt on the EPA.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Buzz..
it's a pity you didn't read the article that was posted in this topic. The sentence right before the part i pasted reads:
However, lead EPA biologist Lou Reynolds has questioned whether it was coal mining or improper disposal of discharge from a controversial method of natural-gas mining: fracking.

This story is about the EPA Lead Biologist questioning the results.

I find it funny you would resort to what I deem a personal attack that has nothing to do with this topic to begin with.
Maybe next time, save the egg on your face and read the link first? just an idea.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts