The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone catch any reds lately?? Or yotes?? Wondering how they are looking...my fnt order should be here Wednesday or so...thinking about putting in some sets at camp next week wed or Thursday and pull on Sunday.. not a bunch..maybe a dozen sets in 1 or 2 spots..

Just dont want worthless fur...

·
Registered
881 Posts
Skinned 2 grays last night, the leather side looked really good. Killed 2 the first week, they were pretty dark yet. Big coons have been good since 2nd week, when I started. As far as "worthless", consider this. Last year I sold 2 grays I killed the first night of the season, both were prety dark on the leather side, but both brought good money. Not top lot, of course, but good prices just the same. I'd have to look it up, but they were in the 20's. I try to harvest as many as I can, handle the fur well, and always get decent money. Wait if you want, but I don't. Coons are a different story, of course.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx guys...i know one thing...fur not caught isnt worth anything!! I dont have hardly any fox at home....camp has em..caught 1 last season...planning to hit it during fisher season...but thats it...i always dye and wax during bear camp..i go up a few days early just to do it and get away and get camp ready for the crew....figured why not start now and run a few while i am there....

We'll see what day i get up there and if i can get some prepped at home before then....

Watch...i will catch my fisher and bobcat....lol...pics will do me just fine iffin that happens....

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Saw two different reds "on the hoof" and close up in the past week.

They looked VERY well furred to me. But ya never know til ya got 'em inside-out.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
im throwing sets out at bear camp myself, theres a siver that wants a new home on my wall if i can get him.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I have 3 reds and 2 coons from customers. 1 red was taken 11/5 in north central MD- a bit flat but not too bad. Both coons taken a couple nights ago in York co- 9 pound boar is drying slatey, the 14.5 sow is drying slight slate. The other 2 reds were taken first day PA season, 1 is flat but cherry red, the other is one of these mutant half sampsons I see now and then.

Mauser, if you are in the mountains or northern part of the state, I say go for it, the fur should be pretty nice by now. All of your larger coons should be good and prime, the coyotes will be well furred up, and the reds looking good. Greys will look great.

I've been so busy- and also nursing a plantar faciitis in my left foot- I haven't put out more than 2 sets, which I still haven't caught anything in. I was kinda happy they were empty today, with 3 reds to skin with the feet, and a deer to cape out already on the agenda.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts