The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a victor 3 coilspring trap too big for fox? Just recently got some larger coilspring for beaver and the guy threw in some victor 3's and i wasnt aure if they would be okay for fox or better for beaver. I usually just use bridger 1.5s for fox with no problem but wanted some other opinions

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
The #3's will work. But they would not be my first choice as a dedicated fox trap. A bit on the big side. I like 1.65 Bridgers. Just my preference.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think # 3 are a little big for fox. But they have a bigger pan might have less misses using a bigger pan. I never used anything bigger then an # 2 for fox. Give them a try and let us know how you make out??

·
Banned
851 Posts
I've gotten a few in coyote sets before, and they catch them pretty high up on the arm. I have not noticed any damage though. If you have them you might as well use them.

If I am strictly fox trapping with no chance of a coyote,I use 1 1/2's. If coyotes are a possibility, I use 1 3/4's and 2's. I use # 3's for coyotes when i think there is only a small chance of getting a fox.

PA Waterfowler

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I appreciate it. I was just thinking I might use them on a farm where its strictly coyote and possibility of a bobcat, and waiting to set until bobcat season.

Are the #3s big enough for beaver?
Im going to be doing a little more serious beaver trapping this year , the only beaver Ive caught were 2 small ones in 1.5s I had in a blind set along the creek.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts