The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at the success thread and love those Fox Squirrels! I haven't seen any of them for at least 25 years around here and only taken 1 in my life. Any idea's of where to go in the state for a good hunt for them? Thanks............JRM404

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
SW PA. I see fox squirrels all the time while archery hunting. Some really big ones. Lots of greys as well.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I see a few in Bedford County as well as right here in Somerset County. Just keep heading west and you'll find more.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
In Erie county I find few if any greys north of i-90. It seems as though there are only foxes here. I guy with the desire could do well.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
bowmike said:
Raystown/Saxton Area....That's all the more I am going to say.

What kind of .22 do you have Bowmike? That looks pretty! Good job on the squirrels as well!

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
trapperrick said:
bowmike said:
Raystown/Saxton Area....That's all the more I am going to say.

What kind of .22 do you have Bowmike? That looks pretty! Good job on the squirrels as well!
Yes NES this was before the grouse addiction. It WAS actually a 17 hmr. It was a marlin 917vs. I must say it is gone now. That gun would outshoot most big bore guns in the 100 yard range (on non windy days) It was awesome to take the long distance shots on squirrels. That fox squirrel was shot between 80-90 yards

The grouse addiction got me and it was traded for a 20 GA over under. That gun went to a farmer who has shoulder issues. It served me well and was known as the meat gun. I only hope the groundhogs on his farm know what they are in for. LOL

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Awesome squirrel OZ. Mine was 28" nose to tail. Yours look like it was a tank, and outweighed mine by a pound! Great stuff. I hope to get out for at least one grey for fly tying material. The 20 ga O/U will be going with me if I do. The snow really kicked those plans in the butt though.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I love hunting them. I haven't connected on one yet this season, sometimes they're tougher than deer. LOL

Here's one from last year.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Thanks, they're fun! I used a 410 not the 45 long on the squirrel.

I've been using an old Savage model 24 this season. 22 long over 410.

I'm actually headed out in an hour or so to try my luck on some bushy tails.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Bagged my first fox squirrel this year. Finally was able to get a shot on one and I didn't disappoint.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is driving me nutz! I may head W. later this week and try my luck near State College. I'll take my 1187 and 581 to make sure I have the right weapon.......JRM404

1 - 20 of 36 Posts