The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question being, when skinning a fox, is there a way to avoid all the blood? I take great care to dispatch with no blood. Then when skinning just past the ears and the blood floodgates open. So it runs all over leather, some gets in the earholes and legs, drips on tail and hip edges.
Just wondered if that was normal or if it could be avoided? And if that blood around the edges matters or should it be removed? What about the the blood soaked leather? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
749 Posts
dont just mash into the skull with your knife...your cutting all the veins and such when you do this....they will bleed and what i have done in the past is use news paper and stick to the skull just above your working area to absorb the running blood...

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Yeah, it takes a light touch. If your not causing trauma with dispatch then you should be able to skin without blood. I rarely get any blood at all unless I nick one of the veins/arteries running through the neck/skull area.

You should be able to pull the hide right up to the ears with a minimum of cutting. Just free the connecting tissue on the back of the neck when you get to the base of the skull then, after you cut through the ear butts, be careful around the eyes and jaw, there's some veins in that area.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Besides opening cuts I can get the ears with no cuts. After ears its like the home stretch with just a little to go and then bloody mess. I can't pull anymore so its a lot of cutting and thats when I cut all the veins. I'll try and be more gentle next time.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Yeah, your just cutting too deep. Put a little bit of down pressure on the skin and just lay your sharp knife on the connecting tissue.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for advice guys, I'll let you know how the next one goes Lugnut. What about the blood soaked leather side? Is that an issue or doesn't matter.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I've never really had an issue with blood-soaked leather or a floodgate situation lol!

When I do nick a vein or artery I wrap a rag around the hide right below where I'm working. That is usually enough to soak up the blood and keep it of the leather until I finish skinning.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Get a wad of bounty paper towels and wrap them around that spot right after you make your cuts. Put them around like a belt and push into the blood. This is a big problem I get since I am often skinning for mounting and cut close for everything on the head. I have found there is less blood if I let the foxes lay 6-8 hours in just above freezing temps, then skin them. The blood has more time to congeal up some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts