1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been out picking them yet?

If so, how are they this year?

Shippenit...have you been out?

I'm heading out this weekend to do some picking in the areas I know holds a lot of vines...hoping Hurricane Irene's Strong winds did not knock all the grapes off the vines!!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
They looked great Saturday morning at my honey hole, but I didn't have time to pick and there were still a lot of green ones. I went over to the spot last evening and a ton got blown off the vine. I'd say close to half of what was there is one the ground and a lot of them were green. I picked until I ran out of light and will go back over this weekend. I'm gonna check a few other places that I spotted during the spring that were definitely the right leaves. Hopefully I can find a few more. In all honesty I might give my honey hole another week just to let the rest of them fully ripen.

Question for you Woody: Have you ever tried to counter ripen green ones at home? Like I said there is a lot on the ground that are completely green and if they're worth trying to salvage I would like to salvage them. I'm hoping for 12-15lbs this year, but it's not looking great so far. Hopefully the other vines I found pan out.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shippinit said:
They looked great Saturday morning at my honey hole, but I didn't have time to pick and there were still a lot of green ones. I went over to the spot last evening and a ton got blown off the vine. I'd say close to half of what was there is one the ground and a lot of them were green. I picked until I ran out of light and will go back over this weekend. I'm gonna check a few other places that I spotted during the spring that were definitely the right leaves. Hopefully I can find a few more. In all honesty I might give my honey hole another week just to let the rest of them fully ripen.

Question for you Woody: Have you ever tried to counter ripen green ones at home? Like I said there is a lot on the ground that are completely green and if they're worth trying to salvage I would like to salvage them. I'm hoping for 12-15lbs this year, but it's not looking great so far. Hopefully the other vines I found pan out.
never tried it with fox grapes but did 1 time try it with concord grapes, they didn't rippen, they rotted on the table and we had MILLIONS of those little sour flies all over the place!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shippinit said:
They make an incredible jelly. I'm not huge on regular grape jelly, but this stuff is incredible.
My wife loves the Jelly from them and makes me make her fox grape jelly....try making Fox Grape Wine sometime...now that is so Good Drinking!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
was out at a creek the other day and spotted some grownign i picked 2-3 handfulls . and they were delic. super, super sweet, and juicy. i have to go wade another creek werhe i found tons growing along the bank, hope the water isnt to high.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ship, did you hit the park at all?

I wanted to get over there but got hit with peachs from a Guy I know that had many blown off his trees in his orchard and he gathered them up right away and depitted them and got them to me...I had to take care of them and the remaning tomatoes we had and did not get to go out this past weekend to pick...hoping I can hit the park and also another spot I know of back behind town by this coming weekend even if I have to get soaking wet!!!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
No I gave up on the park after not finding much in there the last two years. I hit my honey hole, which is usually good for 10lbs and only came away with 3lbs due to the hurricane knocking a ton of green ones off. I then checked out another spot and found about 7-10lbs of large grapes. I picked just over 4lbs of what I could reach and plan to go back for more this weekend. I want to check one more spot, but I'm not expecting too much in there. Like I said before still a lot of green ones out there.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife and I hit a spot that I know where there are many fox grape vines growing....ended up with about 6 pounds...stood at 3 places and looked at a good 20 pounds and tried to figure out HOW to get to them to pick them....Surrounded by Water!

We didn't get to check the 1 spot I pick from that holds many due to the road being closed and they were working on the road...if they had not have been working on the road, we would have walked the mile back in to pick them!

Hopefully they are still hanging by next weekend and the water goes down that I can get into pick them!

Going to use the 6 pounds to make the Wife some Jelly, If I can get to pick the others we found, next weekend, they are going for Fox Grape Wine!!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ship,

Better keep a close eye on your Vines!

I gave Knight 50Cal a Jar of Fox Grape Jelly last night... got in work and found an Email from him...He is going Completly Nuts over it!

I'm pretty sure he is now going to start pickng them....he might end up in your areas and My Areas to get them....Keep an eye on your Vines and when they are ripe, get to picking them...I'm going to be keeping an watch over my shoulder from here on out to make sure he isnt following me!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
HA..with GPS and a basket..and i also gave my PA Mt Lion a hat of yours...for sent purposes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts