The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a huge multi vine cluster with a ton of grapes on them. Are they worth the time to pick and if so any good recipes around?

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Jelly and wine, for sure

this has been a great year for them, though not as good as last year's banner crop.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have eaten a lot of them over the course of my life. Some are sweeter than others. When I was a kid we had two different vines that grow up two different trees that were next to each other. The grapes off the one vine tasted fine while the grapes on the other vine tasted nasty bitter for some reason. Maybe they were a different strain or something like that.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did some research and looks like the best time to pick is after the first good frost. I grabbed a good amount already and have been eating them as a snack and they taste great so who knows.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
godscountryhntr said:
Did some research and looks like the best time to pick is after the first good frost. I grabbed a good amount already and have been eating them as a snack and they taste great so who knows.
all depends on the quantity and the area. You leave them much longer in many places and the bears and birds will clean them off in a day. We harvested ours last week and the loss was huge compared to seven days prior.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Fox Grapes make great Jelly. We pick them and put them in the freezer for a month or so then thaw and make the jelly. Freezing them seems to bring out more of the flavor.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info and I am in chester county so no bear worries but the birdies have done the damage so I am gonna take fishfeathers tip and freeze a bunch of them. They taste good right now and I have been eating them as a snack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts