The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me what you think made each of these tracks along the road by my house. The likely possibilities are a red fox, 20lb lap dog, or house cat.

·
Registered
145 Posts
1,4,6 look like coyote to me. The others I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I agree the first pic is a fox because you see the nails, the second is a house cat because of size abd lack of claws in the track.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
2,5,6 and look like dog tracks....

1, and 4 look like Red Fox tracks....

7 an 8 look like cat tracks, probably bobcat....

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Fox and house cat. Not a yote in the bunch. My 2 cents

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, we've got over 500 views so here it is.....without dispute:

#1-#6: A single Red Fox front and back feet
#7-#8: Bobcat front and back feet

The first set you have to take my word for it. The bobcats can be verified by Dietsch and a few others that saw them first hand.

The first 6 pics are the same red fox I followed for about 100 yards.
The other is a big tom we chased last weekend but couldn't catch up to.

There is no question that it's darn near impossible to tell what critter made what track by looking at a picture of a single track. I took my girls for a walk the other day and followed that set of red tracks as he hunted up the road from my house and noticed the variation in the imprints he left. I just thought it would be fun to post them up after all the squabbling over what made that single track on the post a few days ago.

Mtcurhunter hit the nail on the head!

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
mtncurhunter said:
First post are red fox, second post are kitty cat.
You're so smart!

Thad taught you well!

Fairchild - How did you get the first set of prints reversed? It looks like the tracks are from a mold.... like you molded them. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
Never mind... it's an optical illusion. If you look at it long enough, it seems like the tracks are coming out of the screen.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know what you mean, but they are all impressions.
Have you ever seen tracks do that though after a bitter cold and windy night. You will get a perfect mirrored "relief image" of the imprinted track because the snow ices over in the track and the wind blows away surrounding powder.
It's rare, but I've seen just that.

·
Registered
994 Posts
KenBuck said:
mtncurhunter said:
First post are red fox, second post are kitty cat.
You're so smart!

Thad taught you well!

Fairchild - How did you get the first set of prints reversed? It looks like the tracks are from a mold.... like you molded them. Know what I mean?
Ha ha ha. You need to call Thad and ask him who taught who.
He killed a big tom in front of his cur this year. He was pretty wound up about it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
GHOSTHUNTER said:
mtncurhunter

Is that a Jack Russel cross in your avatar picture? Never seen a hound like that before??
Ouch, that hurt. It is a mountain cur.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts