The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to locate in the 2009-2010 Pa Game Digest what furbearing animals you can hunt on Sunday...Last year and years previous it was only the coyote and red and or gray fox that could be hunted on Sunday. I did find that you can not shoot Skunks, Weasel, and Possums on Sunday. However no where did I find that you can't shoot coon and bobcat...Have they, the PGC changed this? Is this yet another good thing that PPHA has obtained for the Predator Hunters In Pa. Can we now shoot coon and bobcat with a permit on Sundays?????
A valid response to this is needed since the season starts on Saturday..

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Important info for Pa Predator Hunters: Remember this:
You can only call coon, fox, bobcat, coyotes, and crow with an electronic caller... You can not use an electronic caller for skunk, weasel and possums... You shoot these your breaking the law.....
If your going to be a well renowned Skunk, Weasel or Possum caller you have to use a hand call or mouth call....

Now if I can only find if you can now shoot coon and bobcat with permits on Sunday!!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
it must be the way it is written in the book, i could not find it for the life of me, i then looked on the internet and still couldn't find it, then i did a search on the internet and found it on the Regulations page, it is on the bottom and the title is Sunday Hunting:

Sunday Hunting: It is unlawful to hunt wildlife, except foxes, crows
and coyotes, on Sundays.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I seen that also UB and called the pgc at harrisburg and it still states in the game code that you are not allowed to hunt coon or bobcat on sundays. it was a typo in the digest.

·
Registered
356 Posts
That is maybe something the ppha should work on this year, i can see the bobcat because of the permits issued but raccoon we should be able to take on sundays.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Big Ben and 17 Furball thanks for the research and the input....Good info....we don't want any of our predator hunters in Pa turn out to be slob hunters because of a typo....

Remember Sunday hunting....Only fox, coyotes, and crow are allowed as per research done by Bigben and 17 Furball

Thanks for finding this out before the season starts on Saturday....

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
17 furball said:
That is maybe something the ppha should work on this year, i can see the bobcat because of the permits issued but raccoon we should be able to take on sundays.
I too would like to see us pursue this, but we have to remember that we also need to address it from a conservation aspect......we need to talk to the fur biologist and ensure that by adding an extra hunting day it wont shorten seasons or possibly add severe limitations on bag limits. Or with Bobcats, creating less tags being issued.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
yeah I hate the fact that they make the digest sound like the law whenever the actual rule book is not widely distributed. and unless you look at the game code yearly you never know what the actual ruling is on it.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I don't think adding sundays would would hurt the coon or
bobcat populations any. There is only so many permits given
out for cats and that controls the harvest, adding sundays
wouldn't change the permit numbers. We can trap coons on
sundays and there is no limit on them so why not hunt them
on sundays too? I think it would be something for the PPHA
to pursue for predators hunters in the future.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It could be that landowners might frown on it...Since many hunters do hunt coon with dogs....Maybe they figure that would bother farmers or landowners...However you can still hunt fox and coyotes with dogs on Sunday...Might be that the law is so old that they just don't think about updating it to new times???????

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
L4F, one point I have on Racoon is nusiance complains and disease carrier.
As far as a farmers complaint to me...Groundhogs, Deer and Raccoon always comes up when talking about crop and equipment damage complaints.
This past July I nusiance trapped Raccoon for 3 different sweet corn growers. I caught a high rate of Coon. But didn't put a dent in 'em.
Trapping studys have shown that expericened trappers working a wildlife preserve in the midwest caught a small percentage of the coon population. Their catch numbers may seem high, but not compared to the population.

The PGC have reduced the Deer population by liberal regulations and changing seasons and such.
I don't think it would take much to open Sunday Raccoon hunting. An educated presentation to the PGC would open the eyes of the PGC to the forgotten law of NO SUNDAY HUNTING RACCOON.
We have the facts...Crop Damage, Control Population, Control Disease (Rabies & Distemper), Reseach Studys and Property Owner Complains (town, developements & city dwellers)
We have the tools...a predator hunting organization...the PPHA.

A sound presentation with facts to the PGC will be heard and considered with reason and logic.
The PGC wants to hear from organizations. They have made changes in the past from other orgainzations along with our PPHA suggestiions.
Time to act now for changes in next season
Don't wait, proceed with knowledge and facts.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Was reading this thread an was a bit confused...then I noticed the dates...2009,
For 2010, the book says:
Electronic Callers: It is unlawful to use an electronic caller to lure wildlife, except for bobcats, foxes, raccoons, coyotes & crows.

Sunday Hunting: It is unlawful to hunt wildlife, except foxes, crows and coyotes, on Sundays.

Apparently no Sunday raccoon hunting.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Takemrarely said:
Was reading this thread an was a bit confused...then I noticed the dates...2009,
For 2010, the book says:
Electronic Callers: It is unlawful to use an electronic caller to lure wildlife, except for bobcats, foxes, raccoons, coyotes & crows.
Good update...I wanted to make comment on this: Notice it says only specific critters can only be called with electronics... So if you call in a possum, skunk, and a weasel with electronic you can't legally shoot them. You can harvest them with a furtakers license but you have to use a mouth or hand call or just stumble on them while your out there... No Electronics...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have submitted Sunday hunting for Raccoon to the Game and Fisheries Committee Chair for his review. We will have to wait and see if I get any feedback. I feel we have to take baby steps with this stuff. I always get shot down when I ask for the whole enchilada. Antiquated Blue Laws and the Farmers are completely against Sunday hunting and for the time being they have a louder voice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can you shoot chucks on Sunday? Jeez.. you have to be a lawyer to interpret some of this stuff.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No!!! Hunting chucks on Sunday is not legal...Legal Coyotes 365 days a year , Legal fox and crows in season Sunday hunting only..

·
Registered
707 Posts
It looks like someone is doing their home work. That is the way I read the regulations.Racoon hunting on Sunday could be good.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
However once they allow all kinds of hunting on Sundays!Could be that they would allow bobcat and coon hunting too!!!!Maybe?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts