The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on the Elmira Craigslist tonight. Doubt it is legal, but what does the law say?

Thanks to good old NYS and governor Cuomo you cant hardly find any ammo around for anything!! I've got a solution... I hand load for all my centerfire rifles and have recently started to hand load for many of my friends and colleagues to try and save them some money. Uufortunately i apologize but i dont not hand load shotgun shells for the public just centerfire rifles. i just have a single stage press with some other cool gadgets and work out of my basement but i'm very meticulous and i assure you that you will be surprised at the accuracy change in your rifle!! Email, call or text me anytime and let me know what you got and ill see if we cant start custom hamdloading for your gun today !!! my number is six zero seven six eight four zero seven five seven thanks for looking !! • Location: Corning, NY

Thanks to good old NYS and governor Cuomo you cant hardly find any ammo around for anything!! I've got a solution... I hand load for all my centerfire rifles and have recently started to hand load for many of my friends and colleagues to try and save them some money. Uufortunately i apologize but i dont not hand load shotgun shells for the public just centerfire rifles. i just have a single stage press with some other cool gadgets and work out of my basement but i'm very meticulous and i assure you that you will be surprised at the accuracy change in your rifle!! Email, call or text me anytime and let me know what you got and ill see if we cant start custom hamdloading for your gun today !!! my number is six zero seven six eight four zero seven five seven thanks for looking !! • Location: Corning, NY

·
Registered
260 Posts
Legal or not, I think its a great idea. And I would bet that guy gets some buisness. I know alot of gys that have someone else reload for them. Ammo is hard to come by anymore, and when everything is backordered till the spring, you have to be creative.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Lots of companies do it (load custom ammo)

Used to be a guy with a shop...dad would take him bags of brass and come home with bags of ammo...obviously less than the brass he traded...

Sure there is liability and tax stuff etc....but dont know why selling ammo would be illegal...

I am not shooting a strangers handloads though!! And no way i am selling or loading ammo for strangers...

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Its not illegal at all. He takes on personal issues with Taxes, liability, etc. If he was to produce enough, he would be subject to federal regulations, or if he exported, thats a whole different ballgame. There was a man around here that did it for years. His deal was, if he supplied all components, he guaranteed the ammo. If you supplied anything, you signed his waiver of no liability.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I thought you needed a license to do that? I sure wouldn't want the liability involved. Heck...I loaded shells for my dad's friend...his load, hiw components, his press. He missed a buck because a primer was bad. I never heard the end of it!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Need an FFL06 Federally Licensed Ammunition for small arms manufacturer. Plus would need a business License and collect required State and Federal taxes, ect.. if you are going to charge for your handloads. In the past I handloaded for friends (handgun ammo), but they bought or paid for the cost of the components. They were not charged for time or labor. I also would not load "max" loads. They got mid range "practice" ammo only.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
It depends on how much he produces, there is a grey area. The law states you need a FFL06 if you are selling ammunition for your "Livelihood and for Profit" he is engaged in a trade scenario, or a you bring the components, I will do you a favor scenario, no one will mess with him. if he is mass producing ammo without a license and not collecting taxes, he is in trouble. Heres the appropriate ATF sections.
[ 18 U.S.C. 922(a), 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41 ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts