The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so many of you know I have been looking for a good turkey spot in Central, PA. Well after knocking on a few doors I got permission to hunt some fields and a small strip of land. After some scouting yesterday and today, I know there is at least one long beard and about 8-10 hens. Today out in the field I watched the tom strut around for about an hour with the hens out in a corn field. It was quite though, didn't hear any gobbles. Anyway, he's missing some tail feathers so I'm assuming he's a fighter. This is my question, normally when hunting I'll either put out a single hen or I'll put out a small flock with a jake, submissive hen, feeder, and looker. Do you think I should put out a strutter instead of the jake to get him mad? What would you put out? How would you attack the situation? Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I'd skip the decoys, and set up between where they roost, and the field they like to be in. Once they are on the ground, call sparingly, and wait for them to close the distance. Or maybe call aggressivley and get the boss hen fired up, and drag the gobbler in with her. You'll have to let the turkeys dictate the calling...

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
I don't know a lot about turkey hunting but what Borden just said makes sense to me. I live right by the woods and am practicing my calling in the morning. I don't plan on hunting here so its not really hurting anything.

Anyway. Today before i went to work I stood on the back porch and heard one of 3 gobblers close to my house. I walked about 60 yards into the woods and called a bit. I am guessing this would be considered agressive because it was louder than most. He was gobbiling but would not come close.

I then heard a hen get very mad about 5 m ins later, or so it seemed. She came in yapping her head off. I kept calling and could see here making her way off the ridge closer to me with the gobbler strutting behind. I tucked back to the house when I could make them out, so just in case i want to try to get one close to home.

I am assuming sometimes you need to aggitate the boss hen just as much as enticing the gobbler. As I said, I am more or less a fly fisherman and archery guy, so this is not sound advice but just wanted to add to what Borden said. It might just be your ticket.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here's my advice. If you have the time, watch the field from a distance for a few mornings. Try to figure out a pattern for the birds. If they are roosting like Boorden suggested that will work. But, If they are roosting on the edge of the field, and then fly down out into the field, that changes things a bit. Every situation is different. I've hunted birds that once they hit the field, they stay in it till the sun is too hot to stand. Sometimes you dont have anything to setup by in the middle of the field which may require a blind. Once you establish a pattern to them, then you can come up with the best game plan. If you dont have the time like me, maybe set up a game camera on video covering the field that they frequent. One of the best hunts I have ever been on involved a boss hen. She was calling heavily on the roost. I called aggressively and the boss hen was so furious she left the area. The boss gobbler then flew down and came right in to my calling, and my friend shot him at 10 steps. Pattern the birds and come up with a plan. Be sure not to spook the birds as well. If it doesn't work out that morning, sneek out and try again another day. Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.