The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found about a dozen or so while weedeating under a Pin Oak tree not more than 50' from my Front door. I never had hunted them before, wasn't sure they were Morels. Called my friend, he came over and ID them, then harvested them.

Does anybody know if they will continue growing there in the future?

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Congrats! With morels, there are no promises. They can be there for years then suddenly be gone.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
.....and what "Gal" said is why they are a coveted culinary fungus of nature! Once you find them shut your trap. I gave some to a neighbor last year and she apparently told her gardener and who would be in my spot this year taking all the Morels this year? Morel Hunters Code of Conduct has been broken.

Were those there last year?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if they were there last year or not. Several years back I had a stack of Spruce 2x10's that got all nasty with a "White" fungus growing on the and infested with carpeneter ants. So I drug them over to the burnpile and burned them. I was going to till up the soil and plant grass seed, But now I'll just leave everything be.

I had already warned my friend, I'm installing motion lights and a security system around the perimeter..LOL

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Those are the "yellows" too....they get <u>BIG</u>! I found 15 growing out of one single base, like a "blooming onion" this year. My largest was as big as a 20 oz. soda bottle. Hard to miss those buggers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts