The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out today coyote hunting and was walking a gas well road on a SGL when I noticed a pile of rocks on the edge of the road that looked set up, as i got closer I noticed the bait hole and knew it had to be a set. As I looked close I saw 2 traps, one on each side, both were sprung with leaves in them so I checked the chain and they were tagged with a ID number so I just left them alone and walked away. I know season went out last Sunday so I didnt care they were snapped off since they were legally tagged, I figured the guy might not had his puller with him and just snapped them off to pull later. But now I read they must be pulled by sunset on closing day. Why would they be there almost a week later especially that close to the well road and right behind the parking lot gate? What should I do?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was also thinking maybe someone else set them off for him and he planned to pull later due to work schedule or something happened.

I dont know what they were, only moved one enough to check for tag and when I saw it was tagged I left it alone.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
stupid law ,an unset trap can't catch anything .why even bother looking at them . i was taught to not touch what isn't mine ,as i said ,stupid law that i have been guilty of many times.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Help the guy out if you can. He very well may have thought they were pulled. You would want the same if the traps were forgotten by you. Knowingly leaving traps staked in after season is a no no and should be avoided at all costs. Be glad to follow the laws that permit the fur take. I didn't say you need to like the laws. Just to follow them.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
TrappinJohn said:
Fairchild #17 said:
I've left traps sit well into April before I got to them.
Leave them be.
Seriously? Why?
Seriously, because if the ground is frozen down 6" or more you are not pulling the stakes out without investing 15 minutes or more per set, risking pulling your back out of whack with every one.
My traps all have chain stakes and all links are welded from trap to earth anchor, so there is no taking the trap and pulling the anchor later.
Also lots of field roads get soupy during the first thaws of the year, so I can't drive them without making a mess. And come follow me around for a day...lazy is not in my repertoire.
So yes, I leave some in the ground until I'm good and ready to pull them.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Fairchild #17 said:
TrappinJohn said:
Fairchild #17 said:
I've left traps sit well into April before I got to them.
Leave them be.
Seriously? Why?
Seriously, because if the ground is frozen down 6" or more you are not pulling the stakes out without investing 15 minutes or more per set, risking pulling your back out of whack with every one.
My traps all have chain stakes and all links are welded from trap to earth anchor, so there is no taking the trap and pulling the anchor later.
Also lots of field roads get soupy during the first thaws of the year, so I can't drive them without making a mess. And come follow me around for a day...lazy is not in my repertoire.
So yes, I leave some in the ground until I'm good and ready to pull them.
good reply fairchild ,was going to respond earlier , figured it best not to

·
Registered
999 Posts
All my sets are in the ground till April weather they are set or not, our ground is frozen solid 2 ft or more down.
Once that ground gets hold of a stake it is not coming out till the thaw.
Removing a trap when your done with the set is not always possible

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I disagree completely. The law is you need to have them pulled. Cut the j-hook, cut the a link, whatever. I've been doing this in NW PA for a lot of years, yes, sometimes it's difficult, but I'm sure you could come up with something. I carry a spud bar and a stake puller, invest the 15 minutes without hurting my back and my traps are pulled. This isn't Montana. 6" of frozen ground in late February is highly unlikely.

I'm just amazed to hear you guys do this. It's our responsibility to do it legally. Besides, in my area, people know season is out and it wouldn't send a very good message if they find my trap a month later.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Not only unlawful but inviting more costs in fines to the season. What 100 a trap I think. Sorry but have to argree with TJ, if you can find the trap you can pull it. I find it nearly amusing to read it would take 15 min to pull like thats some justification to ignore the law and risk fines and or possible license revocation. Not leaving a good impression with the non trapping community will only hasten our demise.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I've had the ground frozen down to 6+ inches down here where I am, and had stakes that just wouldn't come out till march sometime. But I'd open the j-hooks and remove the traps and get the stakes later. However if you have a coyote set-up with everything welded and using a cable stake anchor but on chain instead of cable, yeah you will need the thaw to come first.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Your suppose to have them pulled out. Leaving them in and some PETA member comes along and see's them that just leaves a bad word for us.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts