The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody done this.. I shot my muzzleloader for the first time and I always got my best shots after I had fired a shot or 2 without cleaning..

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Have you tried thicker patches or a slightly bigger ball? Like a .495 compared to a .490? You might be getting a tighter fit with a slightly dirty bore. I usually wipe after every shot when I'm target shooting so that most everything is consistent.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
This is an old wives tale that has been around the muzzleloading community for as long as I can remember. Most competative shooters swab after every shot and they usually find the tightest ball and patch combination they can get down the barrel. I have one fifty that shoots great with a .15 patch and 490 ball, another that shoots a .20 patch and 495 ball nearly on top of each other and then a 1 in 66 that loves 295 aerotip powerbelts. Don't be afraid to experiment and find the perfect combination.

GBJ

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a T/C bone collector and I shoot 100 grain 777 powder and use Shockwave 250-grain sabots.. do you need to put patches behing sabot rounds?? Sorry if this seems to be a stupid question but it's my first year with a muzzleloader

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
My flinter definately shoots better with a fouled bore. What I try to do is shoot a round at the range a day or two before opening day of ML deer season. That way the bore is fouled somewhat when the accuracy means the most. I tried firing a blank before going into the woods and my hunting buddies almost tied me up and left me in the truck. They were right, it was NOT a good idea.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Grey Bear Jr said:
This is an old wives tale that has been around the muzzleloading community for as long as I can remember. Most competative shooters swab after every shot and they usually find the tightest ball and patch combination they can get down the barrel. I have one fifty that shoots great with a .15 patch and 490 ball, another that shoots a .20 patch and 495 ball nearly on top of each other and then a 1 in 66 that loves 295 aerotip powerbelts. Don't be afraid to experiment and find the perfect combination.

GBJ
I would second that . I think it is fun working up loads and trying defrant things. I love smoking up the range .

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
firefighter12000 said:
Anybody done this.. I shot my muzzleloader for the first time and I always got my best shots after I had fired a shot or 2 without cleaning..

Flinters no & inlines yes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts