The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
those of you who use a "fouling shot" prior to going hunting. Do you use a full load with powder and bullet, powder only, or just pop a cap or two?

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you foul with BP ... How can you leave it in with out cleaning ... iS that not going to be an issue?

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
gentleben, I completely remove all oil from bbl with alcohol patch & then dry. Pop 2-209's & then double ck the breech plug fire channel to see if completely clear. IMO thats all the fouling needed plus its non-corrosive as compared to bp. Sometimes a lil crud can block fire channel after snapping caps. A TC Inline Nipple Pick is a great tool to clear breech plug fire channel. A thin wire will also work but aint as purdy plus you know how I love dem gadgets!!!!

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Inline, I just snap a couple 209's and run a pic to make sure it's clear.

Flinter, drop the hammer on a flash pan of FFFF, run a pic into the touch hole to clean & clear before loading with BP. This also lets me know the flint is "seated" in the hammer properly and my frizzen is in good shape to make lots of "fire".

Percussion long rifle, snap a couple of #11's while holding the muzzle down next to a blade of grass or a leaf. Moving the grass/leaf lets me know from the nipple to the muzzle it is clear and ready to load. Run a pic (welders tip cleaner) into the nipple to make sure it is clear before loading with BP.

I only use "wanna be" Black Powder (777 or clean shot)in my inlines upon occasion. Only use BP in my long rifles.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My muzzleloaders are right on the money first shot out of a clean barrel so fouling shots aren't necessary. I do know there are some barrels that require a fouling shot. When I used to shoot at BP matches, most shooters routinely fired a fouling shot before shooting at target.

Inline- I dry patch barrel and fire two 209's before loading not so much for fouling but to ensure that the little hole in breech plug is open. Flinter- dry patch barrel, wipe frizzen and pan w/alcohol patch, load rifle, run pick in vent and good to go.

To answer your question gentleben, I would try snapping a few caps in your inline before loading, shoot it and see if it is zeroed. Firing a full load and wasting a $1 bullet would be a last resort.

·
Registered
492 Posts
when I went to the range this morning I realized with my first shot that i don't need to foul the barrel. it was dead on at 100 yards. so I cleaned the barrel and got it out in the car so it is cold in the morning and won't draw moisture.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
red oak said:
My muzzleloaders are right on the money first shot out of a clean barrel so fouling shots aren't necessary. I do know there are some barrels that require a fouling shot. When I used to shoot at BP matches, most shooters routinely fired a fouling shot before shooting at target.

Inline- I dry patch barrel and fire two 209's before loading not so much for fouling but to ensure that the little hole in breech plug is open. Flinter- dry patch barrel, wipe frizzen and pan w/alcohol patch, load rifle, run pick in vent and good to go.

To answer your question gentleben, I would try snapping a few caps in your inline before loading, shoot it and see if it is zeroed. Firing a full load and wasting a $1 bullet would be a last resort.
both of my T/C's shoot low and right on the first shot from a clean bore. I have to foul them.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Burnt black powder draws moisture like nothing else. I practice with a clean barrel and hunt with a clean barrel. Never had a charge not go off after a days hunt no matter the weather as long as I change my prime once or twice on wet days. Also on wet days or when I'm not hunting for a few days I always shoot out my charge, go home and scrub out my barrel. If its a dry day and I'm hunting the next day or so then I leave it in.

I dont see a difference when shooting a clean barrel or 3 to 5 shots into the group. After 5 it gets a little hard to push the ball down. I'm fairly new to black powder, this is my 3rd season. But I realize that burnt black powder and moisture dont make for a reliable ignition in my flintlock.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Well I put my foot in my mouth. I could'nt keep anything dry today. All I got was a click. Hope you all had better luck.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Well I put my foot in my mouth. I couldn't keep anything dry today. All I got was a click. Hope you all had better luck.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
I believe fouling shots are a myth, same as that old line about pouring your priming powder in a flintlock away from the touchhole. Another myth.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Sidney Smith said:
I believe fouling shots are a myth, same as that old line about pouring your priming powder in a flintlock away from the touchhole. Another myth.
I respectfully disagree. Many MLers are sighted in at the range with a certain degree of fouling irregardless of wet patching between shots. POA is effected when comparing a litely fouled bbl VS a totally cleaned bbl(w/ solvent etc).
If your comfortable in hitting a 9" pie plate at 100 yds...then I agree...fouling is a myth. There are some guns & loads which are exceptions to the norm obviously. Reason being why many times that first shot at the range is a flier. Same goes for many cf rifles per my experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts