The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a stainless barrel on a PA Pellet Flinter. The gun shoots great out of a fouled barrel, with cleaning between each shot (wet patch, dry patch). However, out of barrel that has just been broken down and THROUGHLY cleaned, it's unpredictable. I'm wondering if it's okay to send a fouling shot off a day or two before the season and then run my wet patch/dry patch cleaning technique and let it set for couple days without a through cleaning before opening day. If that isn't what I should do, how do you guys foul the barrel before attempting a shot on deer?

I'm concerned about corrosion in the breech plug and in the barrel. I don't want to send a shot off right before walking in the woods though.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
Is the plastic skirt of the powerbelt tight when you ram your first round? If not and there is some play I would suggest trying a different bullet. I have one gun that does the same and after switching to the Hornaday XTP sabot it corrected. Try several. You can get different sabots for the TC shockwave. It is hard to get away from the convenience of the powerbelt though.

GBJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hadn't thought of that Grey Bear. I don't believe it's mega tight on the first round, but I don't think it's too loose either. Been a month or so since I last shot it, I'll have to take another look when I go back to the range this week.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have seen stainless with black powder and only one shot fired begin to rust in 20 hours and that was with the gun being given a lick and a promise like you describe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts