The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always taught to foul out the rifle with 20-30grains of powder and then wipe off pan frizzen touch hole with alcohol. just wondering if necessary or not. thanks . by the way put the charge up to 80gr and much better at 75 yards, no more drop and not much higher at 40 and groups did not open they got a little tighter if anything.

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Necessary? I don't know about that but I sometimes fire a blank, depending on the conditions, before getting into the woods just to foul the bore. My LGPR shoots better with a fould bore. As for the alcohol... I don't bother after a fouling shot. I just pick the touch hole with a feather stub after loading the main charge and then prime.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Nothing,,,,NOTHING attracts moisture from the air faster than powder residue.

So.....if you really want to avoid that "click"....you may want to re-think that fouling thing.

MHO

Dave

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I haven't notcied POI on any of the flintlocks I own or owned in the past... with a clean barrel or a fouled.

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
I've been doing it for almost 40 years. No problems. And how would fouling a bore effect the frizen and touch hole? last time I checked the bore had nothing to do with the ignition.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i shoot a pa conical 240 gr. no patched ball, just wondered if it was necessary or not. thanks for your advice

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
BlackBruin said:
i shoot a pa conical 240 gr. no patched ball, just wondered if it was necessary or not. thanks for your advice
I shoot the same out of my Lyman, and no, not in my experience.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you are running a few patches down between shots it is possible that a fouling shot might not really make much difference any ways. I personally would not do it for hunting unless my accuracy was really bad without it, because it means you have to clean you gun when you get back plus your gun has the chance to be rusting the whole day your hunting.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Your "fouling" is taking up space in the rifling that should be taken up with thicker patch material to seal and prevent blow-by.Go tighter.

·
Banned
900 Posts
My theory: She was cleaning on the first shot and I swab after every shot after. That's what she likes (Lyman GPH) and that's what she gets. Much like my wife, daughters, mother mother-inlaw etc.....Wow, I'm easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts