The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a long shot, Looking for a place to take an 8 and 13 fossil hunting in southern Indiana county area.
Don't hear of many fossil hunter , don't want anyone's spot, just an area that has some shale outcrops.

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts

Here’s some fossilized tracks of one of the first amphibians on Earth....about 330 million years old. I took this picture in 2013, in a coal mine near the Clearfield and Cambria County border. About 400 feet underground, the mine roof was plastered with criss crossing tracks. Several different critters also.

I have a 3 foot x 3 foot x 6 inch thick slab of shale in my basement that I was able to pry free from the mine roof with a slate bar. There’s a couple different sets of tracks imbedded in it. Don’t know what I’ll ever do with it, but it seemed to good to pass up.

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
We used to see lots of ferns and tree bark fossils in the mine roof in the Pittsburgh #8 Seam. They were so common you never paid much attention to them. In the Lower Kittanning Seam, fossilized tree bark could be found around most clay veins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts