The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm a reporter at the Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News. I cover outdoor and rural issues for the newspapers but I've also written about suicide often. Unfortunately it's a topic I know all too well. September is Suicide Prevention Month and I'm trying to write about a CDC report that found that fishermen, farmers, and foresters have the highest suicide rates of any profession.

I know I've dealt with all three in my profession. I'm asking if anyone who knows someone lost to suicide, their family, or perhaps a person who suffers from depression and works in those fields. I'm not asking for anyone's contact information, but would appreciate if you could give that person my contact info.

If not, I understand. It's a difficult subject.

Jason.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
j"nark", yeah this is a trustworthy post. I believe this was posted here a while back and was deleted.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I got nothing but thank you for trying to shed light on important issues. Some of us still value journalism and the First Amendment. Excuse the curmudgeons.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That op is not journalism, I am not sure what it is but journalism it is not! Would you send information regarding someone who claims to be a reporter, but you don't know who he is, to a person whose loved one committed suicide so that person can contact the alleged reporter? I sure would not point anyone in the direction of an unknown . Additionally the screen name "nark" sure does not embody any kind of confidence for a legitimate reporter, if there is such a thing anymore. With all that is going on today I do not trust an anonymous individual claiming to be writing about one thing when it is entirely possible he is going to write an anti gun article.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
Ya, I think he IS legit. But, I'm trying to wrap my head around "fishermen" and suicide ? I mean unless that is "professional fishermen". In other words, commercial fishermen or crabbers, that make their living doing so, like those guys on "Deadliest Catch".

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I could be wrong about the motive, the screen name was suspicious to me, who knew it was real, I don't read Philly papers :). I am suspicious of most reporters's motives today.

Reactions: bad primer

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, my name is Jason Nark. It used to be Narkiewicz but someone changed it a long time ago. My family were all coal miners in Shamokin/Minersville area. I've worked for the papers since 2008. Not sure how else I need to authenticate myself.

I couldn't have been more clear about my intentions in the post. I didn't make these things up. They are statistics from the Center for Disease Control. It's Suicide Prevention Month and it's a subject that's very personal to me. Since I cover "rural" issues, I plan to cover both of these subjects with one story.

I wrote this story about guns earlier this year.

High school rifle teams take aim at scholarships, Olympics | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Ya, I think he IS legit. But, I'm trying to wrap my head around "fishermen" and suicide ? I mean unless that is "professional fishermen". In other words, commercial fishermen or crabbers, that make their living doing so, like those guys on "Deadliest Catch".
Yes, they are referring to commercial fisherman, not those that wet a line for recreation. The statistics are from professions at high risk.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
In the study "fishermen" does refer to commercial fishermen, not recreational fishermen. PA is not a seacoast state, so has nearly zero commercial fishing industry.

"Foresters" is a mislabeling applied by someone. The study was in regard to loggers. Foresters and loggers are in totally different lines of work.

I grew up on a dairy farm, and many of my relatives and the people we knew were farmers. I work in an ag related job.

I don't know of any farmers who committed suicide. But things are very tough in farm country.

This is not just something recent or temporary. For a long time now, since at least the 1960s, there has been a shift from many farms of modest size toward far fewer farmers, but with those remaining having much larger operations.

There is a glut of most farm commodities so prices are low. But expenses keep rising.

So large numbers of farmers have been pushed out already. And that shift seems to be accelerating in recent years.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, i realize it would be difficult to find a commercial fisherman in Pa, though it could be possible in Philly/Delco/Chester area. Lots of farmers and loggers and foresters here. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
Only a guess here, but I would think in commercial fishing, there would be a high prevalence of alcoholism. Perhaps the same with "loggers" and farmers. I know that most farmers I know are fairly heavy drinkers. Loggers ? Well, they seem to lead a rough and tumble life, but can't speak to their propensity to "nip" the bottle.

Alcohol is a depressant, of course. You combine that (possibly) with professions that can be feast or famine, with a whole lot of "famine", and you have a recipe to fall into a deep depression. This all just an opinion of course.

I drink alcohol. But I also work for a major company, and pretty much know where my paycheck comes from day to day. My pay, and my family reliance on it, isn't relegated to losing crops due to acts of mother nature, catching nets of fish, or waiting for upturns in timber markets, to fell trees. Again, these things can wear on folks I reckon, and can lead to thoughts of failure and being hopeless ?

·
Registered
923 Posts
In 27 years of law enforcement I never went to a farmer suicide. Some of the ones I went to involved terminal illnesses, others due to relationship problems and some because of financial concerns. Just what occupation they were involved in, I don't think mattered much, but none of them were farmers. Just my 2 cents.

Most farmers are tough SOB's, salt of the earth, and God fearing. At least that's how I like to think of them, and those have been the ones I have been lucky enough to get to know.

Maybe milking cows twice a day, 24/7 could do it though...:wink2:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
If the notion farmers are prone to higher suicide rates has anything to do with Mother Jones magazine, that's a big problem in and of itself. I would consider the DNC newsletter a more reliable source than MJ. Those pages will stay still long enough to print anything you want on them, MJ is proof of that.

Most farmers I know are too tough and stubborn to let a little thing like having a hard life to get in their way of living.

Also note that just as there is a big difference between forresters and loggers, there is also quite a difference between an ag. worker and the typical PA farmer.

It's an old saying that rings as true today as it did the first time Will Rogers said it -"There are lies, danged lies (edit), and statistics".

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Most farmers are tough SOB's, salt of the earth, and God fearing. At least that's how I like to think of them, and those have been the ones I have been lucky enough to get to know.
It's nice to see I'm not the only member that has this opinion, and I have a feeling there are more than two of us.

·
Registered
923 Posts
If the notion farmers are prone to higher suicide rates has anything to do with Mother Jones magazine, that's a big problem in and of itself. I would consider the DNC newsletter a more reliable source than MJ. Those pages will stay still long enough to print anything you want on them, MJ is proof of that.

Never heard of mother jones. lol Just something I found on the internet. :popcorn:

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Mother Jones is a leftist publication, a leftover from the 60's.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts