The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my completed Forest Stewardship Plan. I highly recommend this program to anyone with forested property. In the initial questionaire I stated that my goals were to improve the habitat for wildlife, and the plan was written specifically to meet my goals. The plan has a wealth of data about my property and a clear plan to reach my goals. The best thing I have done so far to improve the habitat on my property was contacting my county forester. He set the wheels for the plan in motion and recommended several professionals that I could hire to write the plan. The cost share offered by the state made the plan an absolute bargin.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
FSP's are great! If you also want to further enhance your property and really get the ins and outs of everything living and breathing on your property contact the PA Game Comm. Landowner Assistance Program, and have there biologist come out and view your property. The habitat plan I received from the Landowner Assist. Biologist was outstanding and was instrumental in me being able to secure WHIP funding for further habitat improvements. I would have to say that the main reason I was able to attain funding was his report and how he identified species of concern, threatend species and all types of song birds and other wildlife species, not just about deer habitat. This program is also at NO COST to the landowner. I highly recommend this valuable Free program to all landowners

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rober... I'll definitely do that. The game commission spent a couple of weeks at the farm last year trying to rocket net deer as a part of a study they were conductiing. I'll contact them regarding the Landowner Assistance Program. Which WHIP programs are you implementing?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Early Successional Development/ Code 647
Tree/Shrub Establishment/ Code 612
Upland Wildlife Habitat Magmnt/ Code 645
Conservation Cover/ Code 327

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
cj...Is there an acreage minimum for these plans to be done?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I will add my support to the program. I can't come up with a reason not to do it. I have plans on all my land and refer to them often. And getting access to farm bill funded conservation practices is made easier if you can point to the stewardship plan recommendation.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
I had the state forester walk my property this spring and told him all about my goals there...he never mentioned this program, figured it was because I have a smaller (54 acres) property.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
RB, my property is 53 acres so I see I need to buy 2 more acres just to be ahead of you LOL. One thing I cant stress enough is to have a complete management plan for your property. Having this helps you in the ranking process when it comes to dishing out the money. The ranking process is what they use to put the property's in line to see who gets what funding, property that ranks higher have a better chance to receive funding.
This is the process I used
1. Have your service forester look over your property and come up with a plan

2. Contact the PA Game Comm. and have there landowner assistance biologist come out and evaluate you land and also give you a plan

3. Actually start some of the cutting and etc. that is recommended in your palns to show you are willing to do what is needed

4. Contact the Whip program to apply for funding for any improvements you would like to do.

It takes a while for this process to get going but it will pay off in the end. Not many people get actual funding but alot of people apply. The more you ducks are in a row the better off you are.
From what I recall, only 6 people received funding this year in a 6 county area and I was lucky to be one of them.

I received the info on the WHIP program from the Pa Game Comm Biologist, these guys are a wealth of knowledge and really help you out

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
I am not really looking for funding (although i would never pass it up)..but am looking for a way to get a pen to paper plan done for my parcel. The state service forester was there for maybe an hour and a half...marked about 30 trees for firewood removal, listened to my thoughts on what I was doing/planning, confirmed them , said "you are on th right track" and that was it. If i knew getting a plan COULD of been part of the process i would of pressed for one.

Perhaps I need to contact him again with this knowledge in hand, although I doubt I'd burn another vacation day for it just to give a 1.5 hour tour.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RB, I'd be happy to email you a portion of the plan that was prepared for my land so that you could get an idea of how comprehensive it is. The forester gave me digital files as well as a hardcopy. It's worth your time.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
My service forester for Potter Co. gave me a real nice plan for my property with recommendations for the future and work that should be done now. The Pa. Game Comm. Landowner plan was very in-depth on our whole property from trees to fields to vernal pools and so on. It also covered all types of birds and animals. They also laid out a real nice plan for the future and what should be done now. They gave me all the contacts I needed for the WHIP program. I cant say enough about this plan. You should give them a call, look on there website under the Landowner Assistance Program and contact your regional biologist.
Everything I received was on paper so I can not offer you to send it over the computer but if you like I can send you a copy of my Pa. Game Comm. plan in the mail to see how indepth they get.
Our service Forester was there for about 4 hrs. the first time and came back other times to get a more in depth look for our plan. The Game Comm. Biologist was there for about 6 hrs. looking over the land

1 - 13 of 13 Posts