The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen in the Forest Press where Verizon wants to build two communication towers in Forest County. One will be on Kiffer Hill Road which is a few miles above Endeavor and the other is somewhere along Rt 666. I have AT&T, and have never been able to get service in the German Hill area. Will these towers help.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Verizon works excellent in and around the Tionesta area. I cant speak on the towers though.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Just up river a little bit, in Tidioute, my fiancee's family has a camp. They all have verizon and have almost 3G service. ATT on the other hand...

·
Registered
118 Posts
a camp along 666. Never got signal there. That's why i like it. If you head toward Sheffield you can get a signal closer to there or if you go up Blue Jay road(SR1003) till 66 you can get signal.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I always enjoy the turn off of 66 onto Bluejay as that is the point where we are officially "off the grid". Can't have the darn cell phones in your face every minute of the day, and the kids aren't glued to Ipods, Ipads, etc....

Its funny when leaving after a few days at camp, everyone's phones are buzzing and beeping just as we crest the hill and hit 66 again with days worth of texts, emails and the like!!!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have Verizon and There's a Verizon tower across the road from me on German Hill and service is excellent all around. I even get service on the lake all the way up to Nebraska Bridge. ATT and Verizon must not play well together up that way

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
It's a struggle for me and my crappy trac phone around my camp. reception is spotty at best. Sometimes, I like it that way.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems the folks with Verizon get better reception in the German Hill area. We rarely use the phone, one year was billed for a total of 12 minutes. I would just like to be able to call in case of an emergency. My neighbor has a Verizon and he said to take it up with me sometime and see if it works any better.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
It can also be the individual phone in the marginal areas. When I'm on my Illinois deer lease, where Verizon is not a major player, My old Motorola Barrage makes and keeps calls in places where the guys with the newer smart phones can't get any service.

If service at your camp is the issue, they make a gadget, I think it's called a repeater, that you can install at your camp. I think they're pricey, but it's a one time outlay. If you want emergency communication at camp, that may be the way.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Whenever my family first had cell phones they were the old Cell One I think. No one had service which at time everyone was like oh well no big deal and looking back on it was good and bad.

My now wife and at the time girlfriend never believed me that we didnt have service there, she just assumed I was trying to ignore her.

Soon after she made her first trip to camp and by then everyone went to verizon which had reception. She thought I was giving her a line of bs since we had service while she was there.

·
Registered
871 Posts
BONZy said:
I always enjoy the turn off of 66 onto Bluejay as that is the point where we are officially "off the grid". Can't have the darn cell phones in your face every minute of the day, and the kids aren't glued to Ipods, Ipads, etc....

Its funny when leaving after a few days at camp, everyone's phones are buzzing and beeping just as we crest the hill and hit 66 again with days worth of texts, emails and the like!!!
My favorite part of the trip too...that turn down Blue Jay is where the excitement of a camp trip really kicks in. Phones OFF!!! Then we all pile into one truck and drive up to the top of Watson Farm for signal and call home to check in. lol.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
get no cell at camp can ride up the road and get service. Though phones are a pain they are an necessity (evil) a cell closer to Clarington would also let me get rid of the camp phone.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I would love cell service at camp. That one time you need help would be well worth it. Also, I would like not to have to come off the mountain to say good night to the kids and report what Dad saw and didn't see.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Pretty soon some state will have a regulation that you have to stop hunting and fishing, vacate the area, when you lose cell phone service.
Must have already happened. Some fella in a tree stand get a text that his new shift cnange starts in three hours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts