The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. This is my first post. Thanks in advance for any advice. Anyway, a few friends of mine and I rented a cottage along the Clarion River in Clarington, PA. I was looking at the stocking report and I see there are many streams stocked in that area, but we've never been up that way. I was looking for info on the average widths on a few streams if anyone could help. The streams in question are: Tom's Run, Maple Creek, West Branch Millstone Creek, Millstone Creek, East Branch Millstone Creek, Cathers Run, and Clear Creek. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the wider ones of these streams as we prefer that to "sneak attack" tiny stream fishing.

·
6,466 Posts
go up to Sheffield about 25 minutes from Clarington and fish the east and west branch of the Tionesta they are medium sized and great streams......also the clarion river is a great trout fishery year round ive caught my biggest trout to date out of the river. good luck to you guys and welcome to the best forum for information I have ever found!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Clarion River runs right through the backyard of the cottage we rented. I'm looking forward to casting a few lines right out the back door, but i'm not sure if there is quality trout fishing in the Clarington area or not. We are directly across the river from where Clear Creek enters the Clarion. Ever fish this area? I was told better trout fishing is upstream near the hatchery, but i would love to catch one in the backyard.

·
Registered
122 Posts
hey treestand fished that area a couple times with friends of mine i will say it holds trout late into the summer very nice streams.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
How long are you renting the cottage and when will you be fishing? Some of those streams won't have any trout in them until the season because they're too acidic, especially Millstone and it's branches.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my bad, we'll be up there the last weekend of april. now is the time when i start doing my research so i just don't show up and look around aimlessly at a new location.

Deuce, is the Heath Pump Station you mentioned in Clarington or upriver?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Make the 20 minute trip north to spring creek. Its one of my favorites. You can start at the mouth (at the Clarion) and go as far up it as you want and will find good fishing. I've caught some real nice browns in there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've heard good things about that creek as well. My goal is to fish 3 or 4 different streams for a couple hours each and learn a few holes as well as putting in some time at a few pull offs along the Clarion. Hopefully something ends up in my net along with the future knowledge landing in my brain. But just in case, there will be plenty of Yuengling.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Haha, beer in your creel always helps make for a good day! I've had many good days up there. Spring creek also gets stocked by the marienville rod and gun club in addition to the the PFBC. I've hit it just right before after both groups stocked the stream and couldn't keep my line in the water!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there anywhere you can find out when/where the club stockings take place? I love when clubs put fish into state waters because they are almost always much bigger.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
heath station will be a zoo the first day! wall to wall people from the river up to the splash dam. last trip there the splash dam is almost silted full, fished it many times. i like north fork at richardsville and pekin run better. both are stocked rather heavy. there is clear run out in the middle of nowhere stocked and has a few natives(very few). clear creek gets pounded too

·
6,466 Posts
ryanpgh said:
Is there anywhere you can find out when/where the club stockings take place? I love when clubs put fish into state waters because they are almost always much bigger.
heath station usually has a schedule posted for their inseason stocking at the hatchery

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I have never seen a schedule for the marienvile gun club stocking. Usually just hear through word of mouth. The club also assists the pfbc is their stocking. They have tanks that fit in pickup beds and can get the fish into some real remote areas of spring creek.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
eyefromthesky said:
I don't think there are any open roads into the remote areas of Spring Creek. I'm pretty sure they stock other streams as well.
I know there are some gated roads near the CC camps and other areas they truck them into. Got this info from a pair of members I had the pleasure of sharing a few beers with at the Kelly a few years back.

·
Registered
243 Posts
They help the Fish Comm stock Maple Creek for sure that I know of as far as remote ares of Spring Creek not so much any more. They do stock an area of Spring Creek that you can drive back but the road isnt that great and I am guessing but its about 3 miles back in to the creek

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
pappy53 said:
They help the Fish Comm stock Maple Creek for sure that I know of as far as remote ares of Spring Creek not so much any more. They do stock an area of Spring Creek that you can drive back but the road isnt that great and I am guessing but its about 3 miles back in to the creek
That's what im talking about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts