The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had some good discussions in the gas vs.diesel thread and I would like to start a thread on the Eco Boost.I priced it when it first came out and it was a very expensive option.Have any of you all bought one and or do you all think it is worth the extra cost and would you take it over a V8?At the price it was when it first came out it would be hard to not go with the v8.I don,t know what the current price is though.

·
Registered
670 Posts
When I got my truck earlier this year, I got a $1000 incentive for having the V8. After researching the ecoboosts I did not think the gas mileage was all that better. I also saw a lot of complaints about the engines cutting out when one would try to accelerate quickly on the highway. Apparently there was some sort of problem with the computer chips. I'm not sure if they worked that out yet. So far I love my V8. Took it to Canada and back, with no problems. We didn't have to get our first tank of gas until upper Maine. Which meant we did not have to refuel in Canada.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
My mom's neighbor has one. Highway mileage is good and the power is there, but he tows a 30' travel trailer. When he's pulling that thing he gets single digit mpg because the turbo is engaged almost constantly. I don't see much difference at all with 5.4L when I'm pulling my camper, but it only weighs 3500lbs(maybe 1mpg less). My wider/taller tires dropped my mpg from a little over 17 to right at 15(trans/speedo properly corrected for tire size). Wouldn't have made that much of a difference if I had some decent gears, but 3.55's aren't the best when you go up in tire size. By this time next year I'll probably have 4.10's installed.

I test drove an ecoboost and I was impressed with it, but the price outweighed the advantage and I felt it was just too new. I know it's just a turbo on a V6 and that's well proven, but I just didn't like the 'newness' of it(all in my head I recon).

·
Registered
857 Posts
After driving both I found that the V8 is a turd and the turbo V6 is fun to drive. The V6 is just way over priced. I don't understand why though. The technology has been around forever.

The little bit of money you save on fuel with the V6 will be spent later down the road to replace the tiny turbos when they give out. I'd just hold off on buying an ECO Boost till they come out with a turbo V8.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
BassBlaster said:
After driving both I found that the V8 is a turd and the turbo V6 is fun to drive. The V6 is just way over priced. I don't understand why though. The technology has been around forever.

The little bit of money you save on fuel with the V6 will be spent later down the road to replace the tiny turbos when they give out. I'd just hold off on buying an ECO Boost till they come out with a turbo V8.
Fords new 5.0L V8 a turd? IMHO, its a lot of things and a turd sure ain't one of them. The old 5.4 is huge turd compared to the new 5.0, I've had both and can't think of one thing about the 5.4 that is better.
I've got 20k on my 5.0L now and love it! Plenty of power to do or haul anything you have any business hauling with a 1/2 ton truck and decent fuel milage to boot. My dad has an ecoboost and is having trouble with it cutting out. He's had it back to the dealership a couple times now and they insist nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Owner suit says Ford's EcoBoost engine defective</span></span></span>
Three Ohio drivers are suing Ford Motor, claiming the company's highly touted six-cylinder EcoBoost engine is defective.

Their suit says the 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost engine can shudder, shake and then rapidly lose power while drivers are accelerating. Two of the plaintiffs, a married couple, say their 2010 Ford Taurus SHO has lost power and stalled on multiple occasions. The third says he has lost power when he was accelerating in his F-150 pickup.

The lawsuit says more than 100 drivers have complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the V6 EcoBoost rattling or losing power. Ford hasn't recalled any vehicles for the alleged defect, and NHTSA hasn't opened an investigation, which is often the first step in the recall process.

The lawsuit claims Ford has acknowledged the problem in communication with dealers, but hasn't informed owners. The lawsuit was filed late last week in U.S. District Court in Columbus. A similar lawsuit involving different drivers was filed last month in U.S. District Court in Louisiana.

Ford declined to comment Tuesday, saying it hasn't seen the lawsuit. The company wouldn't say how many vehicles it has sold with the V6 EcoBoost engine -- though it has previously bragged about sales of the V6 vs. V8 in its pickup trucks.

Ford has been selling vehicles equipped with the V6 EcoBoost since late 2009. It's standard on the Taurus SHO model and an option on the Ford Flex,, Lincoln MKT and Lincoln MKS sedans from the 2010-2013 model years; the F-150 pickup from the 2011-2013 model years; and the Ford Explorer Sport from the 2013 model year.

Ford also makes four-cylinder and three-cylinder EcoBoost engines, but those aren't cited in the lawsuit. All three engines use turbocharging and direct injection to give them, Ford says, the power of a larger engine with the fuel economy of a smaller one. It has had to recall the 1.6-liter four cylinder used in the new Escape and other models for problems increasing the risk of fire.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/05/15/ford-ecoboost-lawsuit-defective-recall/2161123/

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I've been a Ford guy most of my life, when I heard about the ecoboost I did a little research, bad idea Ford.
The bottom line is it's a super charged engine. Race car drivers have been using them for years, but they only need the engine to last for 500 miles.
You can probably get a race horse to plow part of a field faster than a Clydesdale, but if you want the whole field plowed, and not kill the horse you use a work horse.
Same with engines, if your going to need extra power now and then, get a bigger engine, don't over work a smaller one, you'll only kill it.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great update Runnin Deer and if this plays out against Ford this is goin to put a serious hurt on them not only finacially but credibility cause they have been puttin all their eggs in the Eco Boost basket.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I read on wikipedia(I know, but I just did a quick search) that from inception to 11/2012 Ford has sold 500,000 EcoBoost vehicles.

That's 0.02% complaints....actually even less since I'm 100% sure they've sold a few more in the last 6 months. Yes, POINT ZERO TWO PERCENT...not point two percent, not two percent, POINT ZERO TWO PERCENT. Do you realize how ridiculously low that ratio is?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
BassBlaster said:
You should price what it would cost to add a turbo or supercharger to your current vehicle. Then multiply that by 2.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Ford's volume should get the supercharger a little cheaper than Joe Sixpack buying one.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
I bought a F150 V8 XLT flex fuel in 2010, the year before the ecoboost came out. Ide rather have the V8 than the ecoboost, but thats just my opinion. I feel better with a V8 when I haul/tow the trailor around instead of the V6, I get around 16-17mpg's, not sure what the ecoboosts get in regard to mileage though.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
PossumBackstrap said:
Ford's volume should get the supercharger a little cheaper than Joe Sixpack buying one.
Doesn't matter what they get it for. Its what they charge you.

My buddy just had some damage to the bed side of his truck. The STX sticker cost $75.

·
Registered
857 Posts
HighCountry66 said:
BassBlaster said:

You should price what it would cost to add a turbo or supercharger to your current vehicle. Then multiply that by 2.
Comparing what an aftermarket turbo kit costs compared to Ford's junk isn't possible. It just so happens that I'm in the middle of a turbo build and even with a goal of 800 hp at the wheels my complete turbo setup is less than $3000. That's a top of the line turbo, wastegate, blow off valve, stainless tubing, intercooler, all the hardware and a complete fuel system. Then again, I'm skilled enough to turn a wrench and intelligent enough to avoid buying a new car so take my response with a grain of salt.

I see zero gain from spending that kinda cash on a truck that might get a few MPGs over the V8 version. It would take a lifetime of driving to overcome the initial cost. If it's the "cool" factor you're going for with a turbo V6, man up and turbo a V8.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I guess if all your doing is just adding the turbo, then it likely is cheaper and you'd get a better turbo on the after market.

But, when you were adding your turbo, did you upgrade anything else? Do you think your going to put 125,000 miles on that turbo?

Do you think it possible that Ford's turbos are meant to boost the gas efficiency and power of a V6 into the power of a V8. All the while remaining reliable.

I'm just guessing, but I'd bet their goals and your goals are completely different. And if they went your route they'd go bankrupt fixing motors.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts