The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how dependable the ford v10's are. I understand that fuel mileage is not the best but if your towing or hauling heavy loads, it should get better than a 5.4 triton. Thanks

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
My bol has one in a early 2000's pick up. Far as I know he has not had any engine trouble, but Body is getting bad on the truck.
Most people I know that have owned or driven them, all say the mileage is not good, but that is to be expected with a V10. Most also say the power is not what they expected, and they do not compare to the Diesel, although I am sure their are after market Tuners, exhaust, etc....which would make them run much better.
My buddy had one in a motor home, it got better mileage and had way more torque when pulling the hills then the previous Motor home with the V8 Ford engine. I honestly don't remember the size of the engine in his previous MH, but as I recall it was a BB Ford???

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
had a V10 in a 1999 F-250 crew cab. I pulled a 28 ft camper with it. camper was around 7000lbs loaded. got between 10 and 11 mpg empty and around 9 or so towing. had plenty of power on hills.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
Did the V10 have any of the problems the 5.4 V8 had? I know the 5.4 had coil and/or plug problems of some sort. I know a guy that had an F150 with the 5.4 and he had trouble in those areas.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
buzz said:
My bol has one in a early 2000's pick up. Far as I know he has not had any engine trouble, but Body is getting bad on the truck.
Most people I know that have owned or driven them, all say the mileage is not good, but that is to be expected with a V10. Most also say the power is not what they expected, and they do not compare to the Diesel, although I am sure their are after market Tuners, exhaust, etc....which would make them run much better.
My buddy had one in a motor home, it got better mileage and had way more torque when pulling the hills then the previous Motor home with the V8 Ford engine. I honestly don't remember the size of the engine in his previous MH, but as I recall it was a BB Ford???
That would be a 460.They are slugs.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
When I was shoppin for trucks in 98 I was researchin the Dodges,V10.The Chevy,s 454,and the Ford,s 460.They were available to order in 98 and I seen them then and they were not leftovers.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
A friend of mine has a F-250 harley davidson edition with a V-10 in it. It has a ton of power but only gets 10 mpg whether it's loaded down or empty. The manifolds warped from the heat and they started leaking around the gasket. The dealer said it was a common problem on those engines. The bolts actually snapped off in the block and had to be drilled and tapped.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Ask my buddy last night what the engine was in the MH prior to the one with the V10........It was a 460. Didn't ask what year it was.
He re confirmed what I had said, better fuel mileage and more power pulling hills with the V10. Keep in mind that was in a class A motorhome.
I had a 27 ft 5th wheel that I towed with my Duramax, and I could run all over him in the hills. Not sure what the weight difference would have been between the 2 set ups??

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had a 2006 250 super duty with 115,000 or so on it when I traded it in and only replaced 1 coil on it. I towed a 27ft trailer with no problem and had plenty of power. I got 12.5 mpg on hiway and 9 to 9.5 towing. I replaced the y pipe with a 3" one and a cat back exhaust with no gains in mpg's but it sounded great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts