The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
This pic inspires an idea....
I have two (2) window units sitting in my basement collecting dust, If I built a commercial sized fridge out of plywood and hard board insulation and installed both of them in that box so I could age my deer for a few weeks, how much do you think my electrical bill will go up per month to run both those units 24/7 to keep my deer quarters cool enough ?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The one problem you would have is if the outside temp gets too cold the coils will freeze up.
Love the Idea. :unsure:
This would be for early season use when temps are still too warm to hang outside.
I would construct it similar to the way they do pre-fab house walls and connect the four corners with butt hinges that have removable pins.
I've seen some enclosed tree stands built this way.
The corners would incorporate a gasket that would take up any minor gaps.
When it gets cold enough to hang deer outside I could break it down into 4 sections, remove the a/c units and store it flat some where in the garage or basement.

·
Registered
15,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have two (2) window units sitting in my basement collecting dust, If I built a commercial sized fridge out of plywood and hard board insulation and installed both of them in that box so I could age my deer for a few weeks, how much do you think my electrical bill will go up per month to run both those units 24/7 to keep my deer quarters cool enough ?
I can tell you from experience that if you build a well insulated 8x8 fridge room, one ac unit will keep it plenty cool enough even in warm weather. You'll have to bypass the thermostat on the unit and run it off a remote, and once you get your cooler cool, it won't run that much.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It works great. Look up a coolbot. This tricks the unit into cooling down colder. I was fortunate enough to have a guy make me the coolbot unit. Then put it in a 5x5 insulated room and it works great.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
at $80/ sheet for plywood, It could get a little pricey. But I like the idea, plus since air conditioners work by pulling heat out of the "Box" and venting it into the room, it would help heat your garage in cooler weather !

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
they do that down south using old milk trucks!

Also do some of the NEW trucks have a 120V plug in on them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts